HELP

  • eileen chua
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 11, 2004
      Dear Venerables,

      Actually i intend to go Myanmar for 2 months to learn meditation but i heard people saying that after learning meditation my mind thinking will change n i won't want to get married. They said that if i want to be single than i can learn meditation, if i want to get married better don't learn, is that true?

      Best Regard

      Eileen

      Yahoo! Mobile
      - Download the latest ringtones, games, and more!

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 13, 2004
        Whether you decide later to get married or to become a nun, practising
        meditation sincerely for a long period will only help you make the right
        choice for you. Whatever you decide to do, you have to live with the
        consequences of your choice, so you should not pay too much attention to
        what others say, especially if they have neither practised meditation
        themselves, nor been nuns.
      • eileen chua
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 14, 2004
          Dear Venerable,

          thks for replying my mail. I have another question, I read about a mail that this person was asking you why there are monk using credit card... but what i have read in a book that said that thoes people offer or donate money, diamonds, rubies n emerald to the monk will get a demerit point and is a insult to the monk too, so im thinking thoes peoples who dontes jade, rubies to built buddha which i saw in mayammar they will get a demerit point and insulting the buddha too?

          Best Wish

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 15, 2004
            Offering money and jewels to lay people to build a pagoda or monastery, or
            to provide the allowable four requisites for monks is no demerit at all,
            but great merit. A pagoda does not have to follow the Vinaya rules laid
            down by the Buddha, a monk is obliged to do so. Offering allowable
            requisites to monks is merit, offering what is not allowable is demerit.

            If you consider whether it is meritorious to offer beer or wine to a monk,
            the truth should be clear enough. Why then do people think it is
            meritorious to offer money? One can offer money to a charity or
            association that supports monks, or to a trusted lay person who looks
            after the needs of monks, then invite the monk to accept whatever is
            allowable. By this means one can make merit.

            Teaching about the benefits of generosity is fine. Urging good
            people to donate to charitable projects is fine if one thinks that the
            people will be pleased to donate. Asking for funds for one's own needs is
            not proper, unless people have made an invitation.

            See this article on Dana and Fund-raising:

            http://www.accesstoinsight.org/bfaq.html#dana
          • duoctue.org
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 17, 2004
              Dear Ven. Monks
              I have learned some lectures from a Tibet monk and he said when
              people die, there is a trasition 7 days apart until 49 days. Normally people
              whose practice Buddhism should rebirth during the first 7 days, and lastest
              is 49 days. However a friend of mine said this view is different with
              Theravada. Would you please give us instruction the view of Theravada about
              the trasition after people died.

              Thank you so much.
              Andy
            • rama krishna
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 21, 2004
                Venerable monks,

                My deep respects to you all.

                Recently I saw in a TV News Channel, a program of a person with super natural powers. In that,the person hold the spoon and with his psychique power he bent the spoon without using his hands, also he broke it.

                And he asked the news reader his Identity card. He moved the card with his eye sight.Like that he showed some gimmicks. He gave many such performances in the public.

                He claimed that he is capable of mind reading and telepathy.

                Q.How far these super natural powers are true?

                What is their significance from Dhamma?

                Can such people without Sila, harm the society for their mundane objectives?

                Can such people influence those who practice Dhamma?

                With deep Metta to you all,

                Rama Krishna...

                May All Beings Be Happy...

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 9, 2004
                  The Theravada view is that rebirth is instantaneous. One may take rebirth
                  in a Peta realm, or elsewhere for a short time before moving on. The story
                  of the death of Queen Mallika is one example.

                  http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Library/Suttas/Dhammapada/11-Jara/11-jara.
                  html

                  Another story in the Vinaya describes how a monk dies, and is reborn as a
                  louse in the robes to which he was attached when he died. The louse then
                  died and was reborn in heaven. The Buddha advised that the monk's
                  requisites not be redistributed until seven days after his death out of
                  compassion for the louse.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 9, 2004
                    There are three kinds of miracles:

                    1. Flying in the sky, diving into the earth, walking on water, and similar
                    powers of mind over matter. The Buddha did not approve of these as they
                    can also be done by the illusionist whose powers are not genuine.

                    2. Reading the minds of others. The Buddha did not approve of these as
                    they can also be done by the illusionist whose powers are not genuine.

                    3. The miracle of instruction. Here, a teacher instructs others, "Abandon
                    greed and lust, cultivate generosity and sense-restraint. Abandon hatred
                    and ill-will, cultivate compassion and loving-kindness. Abandon delusion
                    and ignorance, cultivate knowledge and wisdom." The Buddha approved of
                    such miracles as they are of great benefit to others, and lead them to the
                    destruction of all illusions and delusion.
                  • darrell@gomanginstitute.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 9, 2004
                      Precious Venerable Bhikkhu Pesala;

                      I read the site you offered below and have one question regarding the following (which was copied from the site):

                      > What Delight In Seeing White Bones?
                      >
                      > Like gourds cast away in autumn are these dove-hued bones.

                      > What pleasure is there in looking at them? 149
                      >
                      > Many Monks Who Over-estimated
                      > Five hundred monks, having obtaining a meditation object
                      > meditated in the forest. Having obtained jhana, they thought
                      > they had attained Arahantship, so went to pay respect to
                      > the Teacher. The Buddha told the Venerable Ananda to send
                      > them to the cemetery to meditate. Lust arose in them on
                      > seeing freshly dead corpses, so they realised their error.
                      > Seated in his Perfumed Chamber, the Buddha sent forth
                      > radiance and uttered the above verse in admonition as if
                      > he was in front of them. They all attained Arahantship
                      > and then came to pay homage to him.

                      My question is this ... What does it mean "Lust arose in them"? What kind of "Lust" is this in reference to? Please explain this to me.

                      With loving-kindness and compassion, your servent,

                      Darrell Kitchen