Recognition of attainment in Sangha

  • mogaputra
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
      Dear Bhantes,

      What is the 'procedure' followed in the Sangha when a bhikkhu
      attains aranthood? Do such bhikkhus just keep this to themselves
      fully knowing their attainment? Or do they speak with their seniors
      to make sure that they indeed have attained aranthood?

      I do understand that the vinaya prohibits bhikkhus from making such
      claims (false or no) to the laity.

      With metta
      Felix
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2004
        When a bhikkhu attains arahantahood there is no procedure, nothing to do
        with the Sangha. Yes, such Bhikkhus just keep this to themselves fully
        knowing their attainment in their own experience.
        With metta
        Nandasiddhi.

        >From: "mogaputra" <mogaputra@...>
        >To: SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [SanghaOnline] Recognition of attainment in Sangha
        >Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:59:17 -0000
        >

        >Dear Bhantes,
        >
        >What is the 'procedure' followed in the Sangha when a bhikkhu
        >attains aranthood? Do such bhikkhus just keep this to themselves
        >fully knowing their attainment? Or do they speak with their seniors
        >to make sure that they indeed have attained aranthood?
        >
        >I do understand that the vinaya prohibits bhikkhus from making such
        >claims (false or no) to the laity.
        >
        >With metta
        >Felix

      • rama krishna
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2004
          Venerable Monks,
          I request you to throw light on my
          doubts from Dhamma point of view.
          1. If killing animals for food is violating Sila,
          what about killing plants, cutting fruits and
          vegetables? Also, the animals have craving and
          aversion. Is it so with vegetables and plants?
          2. How does the vegetarian food favorable for the
          practice?

          May All Beings Be Happy...
          with Metta,
          kishu...

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 7, 2004
            1. Killing animals, whether for food or for any other reason, is violating
            Sila. Destroying plants is not violating the precept to abstain from
            killing because plants have no consciousness. They have no mind, but only
            matter. However, they are the abode of many living things, so one should
            not destroy them without reason, or without consideration of the beings
            living in dependence on them. Destroying trees and other large plants has
            serious consequences for the micro-climate since they offer shade, retain
            ground water, and prevent soil erosion.

            2. Vegetarian food is generally cheaper, easier to prepare, lighter to
            digest, and healthier for one's body. As such, it will help one's
            meditation practice provided it contains sufficient protein and minerals.

            A proper vegetarian diet is not just regular food without meat. One eats
            for the sake of health and nutrition. A small amount of meat and/or fish
            will not harm one's meditation practice - it will help if it properly
            prepared and part of a well-balanced diet. Vegetarians and especially
            vegans need to take great care to avoid becoming malnourished. Meat-eaters
            need to take great care not to take too much fat and cholesterol.
          • rama krishna
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 12, 2004
              Dear Ven.Monks,
              I am thankful to you all for your
              quick and prompt answers,direct to the point,enhancing
              my wisdom.
              Ven.Sirs, sometime back,out of my
              curiosity for future I went to astrologers. This is a
              type of astrology practice in India that they take our
              thumb impressions and search from a bunch of palm
              leaves corresponding to our finger impressions.If they
              get our leave,then they read what was written in that
              palm leave regarding our past, present and future main
              incidents. This is called Nadi Astrology.
              Honestly, some of past incidents were
              matched. Also this birth chart and planetary positions
              at my birth time matches my chart prepared by
              calculations with time,date and place of birth. He
              predicted accidents, debts, mental suffering and also
              vehicles, houses and children.
              These preditions did not make me so
              unbalance in my mind as I am practising Vipassana and
              Dhamma to my best. They said to escape adverse
              effects, I have to pay huge amounts and they perform
              rites and rituals. I firmly rejected and dropped.
              But one of his predictions is still
              creating ripples in my mind. That is: at the age of 46
              I'll earn money by illegal means.(Now I am 31) What
              illegal? Not clearly explained, might be bribing,
              corruption. It means I'll violate the right livilihood
              in the Noble Eightfold path. I was so angry on him
              with this prediction. Then he suggested me that the
              illegal money can be given as dana if I am not
              interested in that. Moral fear is arising in me that
              I�ll become corrupt and how to avert it? What
              circumstances drive me to those miserable situations?
              How can I avert such conditions? Such thoughts are
              troubling me often, disturbing my balance. Is the
              wealth acquired by illegal means fit for dana? Don�t
              we have the will power or the ability to choose our
              livelihood in Dhamma way? If not poverty can be
              happily accepted rather than accepting wrong ways of
              earnings.
              So far I am working with a govt.dept. Keeping the
              above in mind I�ll try to change my job where there is
              no tiny possibility for illegal earnings and not
              engaging in any wing where there is possibility of
              doing corruption.
              Am I right sirs? What measures do I take for the
              above from Dhamma point of view assuming the
              prediction might be correct...plz throw light...
              With metta,
              Kishu..
              MAY ALL BEINGS BE HAPPY

              http://vote.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 18, 2004
                The only one doing any illegal earning here seems to be the astrologer.
                Don't worry about it at all. Avoid such people, they are rogues.

                If you wish to know the right way to gain future happiness, study the
                Dhamma, especially such suttas as the Mangala Sutta, which the Buddha
                preached to a deity when questioned about auspicious signs.

                http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Library/Pesala/Mangala/mangala.html

                Astrology is not allowable for bhikkhus to practice, but I will make a
                prediction for you. You will get old, get sick, and die one day. At least
                the last of these is unavoidable. Therefore, while you are young, healthy,
                and still living, try to learn and practice the Noble Dhamma of the Buddha
                as much as possible.

                Maintain your five precepts and honest livelihood whatever the cost. If
                you are not greedy for sensual pleasures, you won't be easily tempted by
                bribes, whatever your occupation is.

                Illegal earning can be donated, but the benefits are mixed. In the future
                lives one may be blessed with great wealth, but that wealth will be
                vulnerable to loss from thieves, taxation, or other losses. If one donates
                without any such blemish, one acquires wealth, and no one can take it
                away.