First Precept and Animal Experiment

  • vlit
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2 9:44 AM
      Dear Venerable Sir,

      My name is Victor (Mahanama), I used to be a novice monk in Lunas a
      couple of years ago.

      I am studying in the States (USA) right now, my major is Biomedical
      Science; recently I was assigned a project that need to 'sacrifice' rats, I
      need some spiritual guidance...

      I had observed my first precept to the extent that I don't even kill
      mosquitoes ... but now, I have to inject a mouse with virus and do
      cervical dislocations...

      I really don't know what to do...

      I am afraid this might affect my metta meditation

      Bhante, please Guide me...

      Sukhi Hotu

      May all beings be well and Happy

      Sincerely
      Victor

      Sadhu!
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2 3:23 PM
        Maybe you should talk to your tutor about this openly and seek his/her advice.

        It is clearly a violation of the first precept. If you are forced to do, the
        sin is less on you while the one who forces you to do it may accumulate
        demerit more. Though killing a rat is not as sinful as killing a human being,
        it still violates the first precept. It would be nice if you can work with
        friends, trying to help each other.

        Metta,

        Ven.Dhammasami

        In message <aarqda+kime@...> SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com writes:
        > Dear Venerable Sir,
        >
        > My name is Victor (Mahanama), I used to be a novice monk in Lunas a
        > couple of years ago.
        >
        > I am studying in the States (USA) right now, my major is Biomedical
        > Science; recently I was assigned a project that need to 'sacrifice' rats, I
        > need some spiritual guidance...
        >
        > I had observed my first precept to the extent that I don't even kill
        > mosquitoes ... but now, I have to inject a mouse with virus and do
        > cervical dislocations...
        >
        > I really don't know what to do...
        >
        > I am afraid this might affect my metta meditation
        >
        > Bhante, please Guide me...
        >

        > Sukhi Hotu
        >
        > May all beings be well and Happy
        >
        > Sincerely
        > Victor
        >
        > Sadhu!
      • Mast Ram
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2 10:03 PM
          Dear Venerable Monks,

          I wanted to ask a related question. Is a buddhist
          supposed to be a vegeterian?
          Or does eating non veg food violate "panatipata
          veramani" sikkhapadam?
          There are differnt views about this.
          The pujaneeya bhikkhusangha is requested to kindly
          throw light on this.

          Rajendra Jadhao

          --- Khammai Dhammasami
          <khammai.dhammasami@...> wrote:
          > Maybe you should talk to your tutor about this
          > openly and seek his/her advice.
          >
          > It is clearly a violation of the first precept. If
          > you are forced to do, the
          > sin is less on you while the one who forces you to
          > do it may accumulate
          > demerit more. Though killing a rat is not as sinful
          > as killing a human being,
          > it still violates the first precept. It would be
          > nice if you can work with
          > friends, trying to help each other.
          >
          > Metta,
          >
          > Ven.Dhammasami
          >

          > In message <aarqda+kime@...>
          > SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com writes:
          > > Dear Venerable Sir,
          > >
          > > My name is Victor (Mahanama), I used to be a
          > novice monk in Lunas a
          > > couple of years ago.
          > >
          > > I am studying in the States (USA) right now, my
          > major is Biomedical
          > > Science; recently I was assigned a project that
          > need to 'sacrifice' rats, I
          > > need some spiritual guidance...
          > >
          > > I had observed my first precept to the extent
          > that I don't even kill
          > > mosquitoes ... but now, I have to inject a mouse
          > with virus and do
          > > cervical dislocations...
          > >
          > > I really don't know what to do...
          > >
          > > I am afraid this might affect my metta meditation
          > >
          > > Bhante, please Guide me...
          > >

          > > Sukhi Hotu
          > >
          > > May all beings be well and Happy
          > >
          > > Sincerely
          > > Victor
          > >
          > > Sadhu!

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • Ashin Acara
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4 12:49 AM
            Dear Victor

            According to Buddhism there are five conditions to commit
            killing.1.Sentient beings 2.having known sentient
            beings 3. killing 4. effort and 5. death. If you meet
            these five conditions you break the first precept. There is
            less sinner if your effort is less. If a victim is a human
            and has more morality you are committing more offence. Killing is killing with not exceptions.

            With metta
            Ashin Acara

            vlit <vlit@...> wrote:
            > Dear Venerable Sir,
            >
            > My name is Victor (Mahanama), I used to be a novice
            > monk in Lunas a
            > couple of years ago.
            >
            > I am studying in the States (USA) right now, my
            > major is Biomedical
            > Science; recently I was assigned a project that need
            > to 'sacrifice' rats, I
            > need some spiritual guidance...
            >
            > I had observed my first precept to the extent that
            > I don't even kill
            > mosquitoes ... but now, I have to inject a mouse
            > with virus and do
            > cervical dislocations...
            >
            > I really don't know what to do...
            >
            > I am afraid this might affect my metta meditation
            >
            > Bhante, please Guide me...
            >

            > Sukhi Hotu
            >
            > May all beings be well and Happy
            >
            > Sincerely
            > Victor
            >
            > Sadhu!

            http://health.yahoo.com
          • Ashin Acara
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4 1:06 AM
              Dear Mast Ram

              A Buddhist is supposed to be a vegetarian. Merely
              eating non vegetarian food does not violate the first
              precept.The point is that your purified mind and
              attachment to food.

              Ashin Acara

              http://health.yahoo.com
            • kc2dpt
              Message 6 of 6 , May 15 12:45 PM
                --- In SanghaOnline@y..., Ashin Acara <acaraashin@y...> wrote:
                > A Buddhist is supposed to be a vegetarian. Merely
                > eating non vegetarian food does not violate the first
                > precept.The point is that your purified mind and
                > attachment to food.

                With all due respect, this directly contradicts the response given in
                message 76, as well as answers I've seen elsewhere. Apparently as I
                understand it, in the Mahaparinibanna Sutta the monk Devadatta wanted
                the Buddha to make a rule that all monks should be vegetarians and
                the Buddha said no. Could you please explain why you say differently?
                Thank you for taking the time to address this.