Purify one's mind

  • rahula_80
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2004
      Dear Venerable Sirs,

      Dhammapada 183:

      Not to do evil, to cultivate merit, to purify one's mind ....

      How to purify one's mind? How to eliminate greed,hatred and delusion?
      Aren't we born with it?

      Thanks,
      Rahula
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2004
        If we don't have any desire or defilement at all we won't take rebirth
        again, so yes, we are born with desire, and because of it. The aim of
        the Buddha's teaching is to purify one's mind and put an end to
        suffering.

        The Visuddhimagga (The Path to Purity) describes the threefold
        training in morality, concentration, and wisdom, which leads to the
        purification of the mind and liberation from suffering.

        The Satipatthana Sutta also starts by stating, "This, monks, is the
        only way for the purification of beings, for the transcendence of
        grief and lamentation, for the extinction of pain and sorrow, for
        attaining the right method, for the realisation of nibbana. Namely,
        the four foundations of mindfulness."

        If it were not possible to uproot greed, hatred, and delusion, the
        Buddha would not have taught this path to do it. If ignorance was not
        so deeply rooted in living beings, they would all strive to realise
        nibbana, and soon put an end to suffering. However, ignorance is very
        subtle and difficult to see, let alone to remove. One should seek out
        a teacher, and study the Dhamma carefully to find the right path.