True Non self

  • Myanmar Vihara
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2002
      Dear questioner

      I am pleased to answer your good question which is quite important
      to understand about non-self through personal experience.

      First, you have to understand that there are two truths that the Buddha taught
      to the different kinds of people during his 45 years.
      The first one is the conventional truth in which things are dealt with an ordinary sense
      that The Buddha himself use in the Sutta as I and me etc.,
      and the second is the ultimate truth that are free from bias or partiality that He explained
      in the Abhidhamma philosophy.

      The term Anatta is totally concerned with ultimate truth that can only be fully understood
      by individual meditation experience, not enough to understand by intellectual experience.

      There are many meanings of the Pali word Atta in the Suttas,
      like self, body, person, individually, life, mind, soul, etc.

      It is sometimes used when we should expect the nominative word like you mentioned.
      I think some translation of Pali words into English may not be accurate, if the translators
      are not skilful in Pali grammar. That is why, some may get confused in some explanations.

      "Atta saranam anannasaranam" means "being your own refuge, with no one else as your refuge",
      and then further more explanation of it is "with the Dhamma as an your refuge, with no other refuge".
      If it translated the word atta as self, that also means you yourself, so there is no true self.

      Conventionally speaking, there is "self" to be used as a nominative but ultimately speaking,
      there is no "self" but it is only mentality and physicality.
      To understand about true Anatta, you should meditate according to the Satipatthana Sutta.

      With Metta
      U Khemissara
      RSA