sadness arising from meditation?

  • gibofthejungle
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2004
      Dear Venerable Bhikkhus,

      I find that sometimes, after meditation, i'll actually feel somewhat
      gloomy and sad. I think that this usually happens after a meditation
      session in which my mind wasn't very focused. I do Chan counting of
      the breath meditation. Is there anything I might be doing wrong that
      would cause these negative emotional states after meditation? Thank
      you for considering my question.

      Gibson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2004
        Please take a look at the Questions of Sakka, especially this section:

        http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Library/Mahasi/Sakka/sakka.html#Unpleasant
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2004
          No need to count the breath, focus on it, observe the object by mindfulness
          carefully, try to know, be aware, to understand the feeling correctly. it is
          the nature of our phenomena. OK
          with metta.
          Nandasiddhi.

          >From: "gibofthejungle" <gibofthejungle@...>
          >To: SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [SanghaOnline] sadness arising from meditation?
          >Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 00:06:38 -0000
          >
          >Dear Venerable Bhikkhus,
          >
          >I find that sometimes, after meditation, i'll actually feel somewhat
          >gloomy and sad. I think that this usually happens after a meditation
          >session in which my mind wasn't very focused. I do Chan counting of
          >the breath meditation. Is there anything I might be doing wrong that
          >would cause these negative emotional states after meditation? Thank
          >you for considering my question.
          >
          >Gibson

        • gibofthejungle
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 11, 2004
            Dear Venerable Nanda Siddhi and Bhikku Pesala,
            Thank you both for your responses. They were quite helpful. That
            webpage you linked me to very much helped me to understand where my
            sadness came from. Thank you again,

            Gibson

            --- In SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com, "Sayadaw Nanda Siddhi"