Re: ordination & disability (Answered by Ven. Dhammasami)

  • editor@nibbana.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21 1:53 PM
      Answer by Ven. Dhammasami
      http://web.ukonline.co.uk/buddhism//sasana07.htm

      About disability and ordination, there is no direct rule to ban
      ordination as far as the vinaya is concerned. Only tradition has it.
      One of the most famous Myanmar saydaws, U Kovida of Ma-Soe-yein
      monastery in Mandalay is a born handicapped. His right arm is
      deformed and does not function. But he is a bhikkhu, and now one of
      the most loved teachers of Dhammacariya examinations.

      He visited Singapore and America last year. He is also a good
      preacher. He has been offerred Aggamaha Pandita title by the Myanmar
      Government.

      With Metta,

      Venerable Dhammasami
      Oxford, UK