Re: [SanghaOnline] The Dhamma

  • Ashin Acara
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17 12:51 PM
      Dear Alan

      Thanks for your question.

      I would like to suggest you according to Buddhist teachings.

      The first of 38 discourses on Blessings is not to associate with the fools. It is very important in Buddhism because the Buddha guided his followers to avoid fool people.

      On the other hand,he taught us four kinds of running wheels (catu cakka in Pali). They are as follows

      1. 'Patirupa desavasa' means to reside the right place

      2. 'Suppurirupa nissaya' means to associate with good friends

      3. 'Saddhamma savana' means to listen a good teachings and

      4. 'Attasamma panidhi' means to keep one's own mind to purify.

      If you follow these four kinds of actions you will be happy in practicing the Dhamma.

      There is a conversation between the Buddha and his attendant venerable Ananda. Ananda said, "Venerable sir. If one associates with a good friend, one's own job finishes half." But the Buddha corrected Ananda's words by replying that associating with a good friend is finishing his entire job.

      Also there are many examples about good and bad friends.

      That's why you should consider to associate with good and not to associate with bad friends.

      May you be happy by practicing the Dhamma!

      With Metta

      Ven. Ashin Acara,
      USA
      -----------------
      Venerable Monks

      I am new to Buddhism (3 months) and I have a question related to practising
      the dhamma, and in particular 'right action'.

      I have some 'friends' at the moment who drink alocohol to get drunk, and
      will often gossip and slander other people. Should I start to think about
      distancing myself from these sorts of negative people, or should I try and
      help them overcome their problems through a positive attitude ? (which is
      more of a hindrance)

      Best Regards,
      Alan

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT