Re: [SanghaOnline] The Dhamma

  • Myanmar Vihara
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 16, 2002
      Dear Alan

      I am so pleased to answer your question regarding living in peace and happiness
      in your daily life. I am also glad to know that you are following the Dhamma.

      In Mangala Sutta, the discourse of the highest blessing, the Buddha said,"
      Do not associate with a fool". Here the fool means one who destroys his life by doing unwholesome action and causing harm to other people.

      So I want to suggest that you should avoid those people otherwise
      you will be harmed by them or you may end up joining them.

      You can help them by your positive attitudes for the betterment of their lives, provided that they listen to you.

      With Metta,

      Ven. U Khemissara
      South Africa

    • Ashin Acara
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 17, 2002
        Dear Alan

        Thanks for your question.

        I would like to suggest you according to Buddhist teachings.

        The first of 38 discourses on Blessings is not to associate with the fools. It is very important in Buddhism because the Buddha guided his followers to avoid fool people.

        On the other hand,he taught us four kinds of running wheels (catu cakka in Pali). They are as follows

        1. 'Patirupa desavasa' means to reside the right place

        2. 'Suppurirupa nissaya' means to associate with good friends

        3. 'Saddhamma savana' means to listen a good teachings and

        4. 'Attasamma panidhi' means to keep one's own mind to purify.

        If you follow these four kinds of actions you will be happy in practicing the Dhamma.

        There is a conversation between the Buddha and his attendant venerable Ananda. Ananda said, "Venerable sir. If one associates with a good friend, one's own job finishes half." But the Buddha corrected Ananda's words by replying that associating with a good friend is finishing his entire job.

        Also there are many examples about good and bad friends.

        That's why you should consider to associate with good and not to associate with bad friends.

        May you be happy by practicing the Dhamma!

        With Metta

        Ven. Ashin Acara,
        USA
        -----------------
        Venerable Monks

        I am new to Buddhism (3 months) and I have a question related to practising
        the dhamma, and in particular 'right action'.

        I have some 'friends' at the moment who drink alocohol to get drunk, and
        will often gossip and slander other people. Should I start to think about
        distancing myself from these sorts of negative people, or should I try and
        help them overcome their problems through a positive attitude ? (which is
        more of a hindrance)

        Best Regards,
        Alan

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT