RE: [SanghaOnline] Devotion to one's Teacher

  • Nagasena
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2003
      Dear Darrell

      I really feel symphaty to you. Everyone can be emotional when he or she is left out. Please don't take serious. There are a couple of things to be clarified. The first thing is to look at the teacher's intention over his behaviour. Secondly, you should look at your own desire, craving to the teacher or tradition. I think you have lots of expectation from your teacher. If you have love or extensive desire to gain something from your teacher, you can easily get such emotional feeling, especially when it does not happen as you wish.

      Buddha always advises us not to attach too much. Attachment is harmful. You will produce lots of ego, if your expection does not happen accordingly. Keep everything open without attachment. What you need is to see and to accept as the situation really is. Let your ego go by using the power of wisdom. Do not blame your teacher or friends but correct your mind with right understanding and right intention. Don't be dishearted but be a wise and start again with a real experiece!!! I wish you successful.

      Nagasena

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
        Thank you, Venerable Nagasena, for opening my eyes to my clinging to expectations. I do not blame my teacher or friends. I do not blame anyone. I do realize the problem was my clinging.

        Thank you also for the generous advice, and your wishfulness.

        With loving-kindness and a great heart,

        Darrell