What is a Sima?

  • steven_19988
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 14, 2003
      Dear Venerable,
      I would be much obliged if you could tell me what a sima is and
      what actually is its function. When in the history of Buddhism was a
      sima erected and on what occassion did the Lord Buddha say something
      about sima from the Nikayas. Could you please cite the suttas from
      which I could read more about Sima hall. It would be best if you
      could also recommend any website that explain in detail about the
      functions of a sima.
      Thanking you in anticipation.
      With metta,
      steven
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 17, 2003
        A sima is a boundary created for formal acts of the Sangha.

        To ordain a bhikkhu, for example we need the consent of all the monks
        present. A boundary is necessary to define the limits for who is
        considered to be present. If we have consent of all the monks within
        the boundary, we don't need the consent of all the bhikkhus outside of
        it.

        The rules for creating a sima are defined in the Vinaya texts. It
        doesn't require a special building, and can be a large area or a small
        one.