Re: Self Reliance?

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
      Q1. Buddhism doesn't have almighty, The One (say God) that will share
      us compassion, guarantee us if we trust Him, we enter Heaven.
      Buddhism based on self reliance, it means the burden is heavy on our
      side! How can this make him further learn Buddhism if he has a thought
      like that?

      Q2. We are what we were. Regarding bad karma, is it possible to
      suppress bad karma with wholesome deeds? It seems really scary
      somehow regarding cause-effect of bad karma.

      As I said before in message 401:

      "It is true that it is difficult for a human being to find the truth
      alone. Buddhists take refuge in the Buddha, Dhamma, and
      Sangha. To practise meditation it is very helpful to attend a
      meditation course and practise together with other people. One
      derives enormous benefit from knowing that others have to face
      the same problems as oneself.

      As you practise meditation and learn Buddhism more, you will
      gradually gain greater self-reliance. The Buddha taught that one
      should be self-reliant. There is a saying, "God helps those who
      help themselves."

      How can we give self-reliance to others? It is barely possible, is it? The
      more you help others the less self-reliant they become. One can help
      others by teaching them the Dhamma, but only if they want to learn. If
      they don't want to learn, the best thing is to help oneself by learning
      more and by practising what one preaches: then others will be more
      inclined to listen.

      Even in worldly matters, teaching others so that they can do things for
      themselves is the best way for a society to progress. Education is the
      most important thing as ignorance is the root cause of all suffering.

      2. Being afraid fo bad kamma is a good thing. Hiri and Ottapa - fear
      and shame of wrong-doing are the two guardians of the world. It is said
      regarding a good monk "Anumattesu vajjesu bhayadassavi." This
      means "he is one who sees danger in the slightest fault."

      What we have done in the past is done and will give its result in due
      course, there is no going back in a Time Machine to fix past mistakes
      like in the movie "Back to the Future." However, in this present life we
      have a great opportunity to do the powerful wholesome deed of insight
      meditation. If one puts a teaspoon of salt in a cupful of water it becomes
      undrinkable, but put the same teaspoon of salt into a big water tank and
      it cannot even be tasted. Of course, if we have a whole bucket of salt,
      then we will have to swallow a lot of salty water (>_<). If we reflect wisely
      on our past mistakes it will stengthen our resolve not to repeat them.
    • a3ka2000
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
        Thank you Bhante....

        May you be well and happy!