Re: The End of all Kamma

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2003
      Question When we do unwholesome deeds like killing we will get bad
      kamma, and when we do wholesome deeds like dana we will get good
      kamma. So if we neither do wholesome nor unwholesome deed then
      do we get any kamma?

      First, a small correction regarding terminology. Kamma is the cause,
      Vipaka is the effect. When we do good kamma, we get good vipaka.
      When we do bad kamma, we get bad vipaka. Using the word kamma
      when we mean the result of kamma is a common mistake.

      The Arahants have completely eradicated ignorance (avijja) so there is
      no condition for the arising of volitional formations or kamma
      (sankhara). i.e. the Arahants do no more kamma. However, they are not
      stones or vegetables. They do many wholesome deeds such as
      teaching Dhamma, paying homage to senior monks, practising
      meditation, etc. They do the right thing according to the situation, but
      they have no desire, aversion, or delusion. Since they do not make any
      fresh kamma, when they die, they are not reborn again.

      Ordinary people are very different. They are often motivated by desire,
      hatred, and delusion. Even when doing wholesome deeds, the
      underlying tendency to delusion is sill there. Just check your own mental
      state before, during, and after doing some wholesome deeds. Is there
      not at least a trace of pride there? Ordinary people find it difficult to do
      something without expecting any result. Once, after I gave a Dhamma
      talk, one man paid homage to me as I walked out of the room.
      Afterwards he came and asked me why I had not acknowledged his
      paying homage. He apparently wanted some appreciation for his great
      humility (~_~)

      So ordinary people should do wholesome deeds that bring happiness.
      Especially they should do the wholesome deeds of scriptural study and
      insight meditation that reduce desire, hatred, and delusion. When we
      reduce the defilements, then we can do really powerful wholesome
      kamma that will launch us away from evil deeds like a space rocket is
      launched away from earth. If we can escape the gravitational pull of the
      mental defilements, doing wholesome deeds will be completely
      effortless.
    • sam he
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3, 2003
        Dear venerable sir,

        Sorry for my interruption. I found some interesting statement in your explanation ie : regarding our aim while we are doing good deeds, which is should be directed straight towards nibbana, which is the end of craving.
        Sir, to do good deeds with an aim, even if the aim is nibbana, does it mean that we still attach, crave, to something in this case nibbana itself?
        Suppose we are helping a sick person, what is the best that we should put in our mind while doing that action?
        are we put in our mind : by this good action may I reach nibbana or, we just concentrating in that action, hoping the sick person may get well soon, and having no single wish or aim for ourselves?

        Thank you for your explanation,

        Regards

        Soenarno

        Bhikkhu Pesala <pesala@...> wrote:

        Generosity, study of scriptures, helping others, meditation, etc., are all
        supporting conditons for the realisation of the fruit of the path. However,
        when we do these good deeds, our aim must be directed straight
        towards nibbana, which is the end of craving, not towards the enjoyment
        of celestial or human pleasures.

        "As you sow, so shall you reap."
        "All beings are heirs to their kamma, are owners of their kamma, have
        kamma as their origin, kamma as their relatives and their refuge,
        whatever kamma they do, for good or for ill, they will inherit its results."

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3, 2003
          Question: To do good deeds with an aim, even if the aim is nibbana,
          does it mean that we still attach, crave, to something in this case
          nibbana itself?

          If we are not yet enlightened we will be attached to our deeds, the
          Enlightened Ones are not attached, but they still do wholesome deeds.
          The do not do unwholesome deeds.

          There is also helping by inaction. I could answer a question in brief, in
          detail, or not answer it at all, with the intention that the questioner finds
          the answer by doing some reading. Sometimes inaction is more
          effective than action in helping others.
        • Andy Vu
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 14, 2003
            Dear Ven. Master,
            Please help me how to stop suffering? What method or methods
            that can easy to help us realize lobha, dosa, moha (greed, aversion,
            delusion) when it arise?

            Best regards
            Andy