ordination & disability

  • colhaz8@bushinternet.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2001
      Dear Venerable Bhikkhus,

      Up until fairly recently I was seriously considering pursuing
      ordination into the ordained Sangha in Thailand. However,after a
      motorcycle accident and the subsequent loss of my left leg , I was
      informed by a friend that it would be impossible to take the orange
      robe. Would you be as kind as to clarify upon this matter.

      With respect.
    • editor@nibbana.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2001
        Answer by Ven. Dhammasami
        http://web.ukonline.co.uk/buddhism//sasana07.htm

        About disability and ordination, there is no direct rule to ban
        ordination as far as the vinaya is concerned. Only tradition has it.
        One of the most famous Myanmar saydaws, U Kovida of Ma-Soe-yein
        monastery in Mandalay is a born handicapped. His right arm is
        deformed and does not function. But he is a bhikkhu, and now one of
        the most loved teachers of Dhammacariya examinations.

        He visited Singapore and America last year. He is also a good
        preacher. He has been offerred Aggamaha Pandita title by the Myanmar
        Government.

        With Metta,

        Venerable Dhammasami
        Oxford, UK