Re: frivolous speech and 'limerance' / LOVE

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11, 2003
      Thank you for the link to Ajahn Brahmavamso's talk on Love. I have
      all of his talks, and rather like his style.

      It's true isn't if? If you really love your wife/husband and they find
      someone they like more than you, you would be happy for them and
      just let them go, wouldn't you? Real love (metta) is like that. No
      trace of attachment, lust, or possessiveness. However, most
      people are not ready for that kind of unconditional love.

      Sorry about not answering the one on frivolous speech. "Incredible"
      means that one will not be believed even if one is telling the truth.
      To find out the precise meaning of "disorder of the bodily organs" I
      would have to search out the commentaries, that is why I haven't
      responded yet. I suppose that it means incontinence or some
      similarly unpleasant result.

      I hope that clarifies it a bit.
      With metta

      Bhikkhu Pesala
    • mettamelb
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 2003
        Dear Bhikkhu Pesala,
        Yes, I like Ajahn Brahmavamso, and I am slowly
        downloading all of his talks too, and listening to
        them as I go along!! Each one I look forward to. He
        speaks lovingly and I like what he says very much. I
        look forward to listening to him in person some day. I
        am impressed by the way he delivers so many great
        talks without prior planning and they run so
        smoothly...and I like his sense of humour.

        Yes, it IS true - if you really love your wife/husband
        you 'would' let them go if that was what would make
        them happy - and I was thinking too, if that really
        happened, and you held them back, and they stayed,
        reluctantly, (even out of love for you too) wouldn't
        that be like a form of imprisonment you'd be enforcing
        upon them somehow...and wouldn't that feel awful and
        unnatural - how can there be any true pleasure in
        possessing anyone. Ajahn Bramavamso uses the simile of
        a bird in a cage, with door always left open, and he
        also talks about the door of a person's heart being
        open also. Sometimes people keep the door closed; many
        others seem to leave it a little ajar, in varying
        degrees, being rather selective about people; then
        someone comes along and you can tell straight away
        that the door is wide open - is that what true
        equanimity is??? - a lack of discrimination, no matter
        what???

        When you say that people are 'not ready' for that kind
        of unconditional love, it seems to me that whilst
        people might be consciously or unconsciously wishing
        for it, to receive it for themselves (like a mother
        for her child), very few people would be willing or
        able to extend to being able to give unconditional
        love. Everybody talks about it as an ideal, but the
        doing really seems the proof in the pudding.

        That's enough info in relation to frivolous speech and
        I laughed a bit when I read the 'incontinence' part.
        It seems the right metaphor for verbal things lacking
        mindfulness in the extreme!
        in lovingkindness,
        donna.

        --- Bhikkhu Pesala <pesala@...> wrote:
[...]

        =====
        "Metta is likened to a gentle rain that falls upon the earth" (Lovingkindness, Salzberg: 1995)