Upekkha

  • Wendy Bixby
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2003
      Dear Sangha,

      I am very much interested in reading and learning much more about Upekkha. Could you please tell me what you are inspired to write
      and suggest further readings.

      I am very grateful for this opportunity, thank you all for your time and efforts in sharing your valuable knowledge with us, Sangha online. I really enjoy your answers to our questions.

      Much Metta to each of you
      wendy

    • Wendy Bixby
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2003
        Dear Teachers,
        May I try to be a bit more focused, please pardon my
        lack of skill in using words to communicate. I thank
        you know for your patience.

        I am trying to understand what upekkha may be. My
        guess is that there may be different kinds. So I will
        start simply with my guess and await your
        clarifications.

        One day while meditating I had a very memorable
        experience focusing on my tail bone. My tail bone was
        very hard, lots of earth element, and some pain - then
        aversion to the pain. Then I remembered my
        understanding of upekkha, equanimity. Umm what does
        that mean exactly? Well I noticed that I was
        observing my hardness and pain, didn't notice the heat
        or cold. Then the next thing that happened was that I
        noticed my tail bone melting, lots of air and water
        elements, like quicksand. Then as soon as my mind said
        wow that's nice, clinging to pleasure, my tail bone
        got hard again. This happened about four times. I
        noticed many thoughts wondering where upekkha was.
        Was there a middle point? Then I thought about a
        pendulum on a clock and thought that upekkha must be
        the observing of the swinging between aversion and
        clinging.

        Please help me understand more about upekkha, I know I
        am definitely clinging to this concept to help me
        handle my many responses to life.

        I am very grateful for your time and thoughtfulness.

        with much metta
        suki hotha
        wendy

        http://search.yahoo.com