The 49 days after the Buddha's enlightenment

  • mogaputra
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3 3:31 PM
      Dear Bhantes,

      I was wondering if my intellectual curiosity about the 7 weeks after
      the Buddha's enlightenment could be satisfied by your knowledge. So
      far I have only found scant reference to this period in which the
      Buddha revelled in the dhamma, or even that he practised certain yoga
      exercises to strengthen the physical body. Are they are any suttras
      or commentaries that describe this period in greater detail?

      Many thanks and metta
      Felix
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4 12:09 PM
        A brief account is given in the Vinaya Mahavagga which starts
        with:

        1. Bodhikatha - the story of the enlightenement, 7 days spent
        here
        2. Ajapälakathä - a meeting with Humhumka Brahmana, 7 days
        spent here
        3. Mucalindakathä - protected by a storm by the Mucilinda
        serpent, 7 days spent here
        4. Räjäyatnakathä - accepting rice cakes and honey from
        Tapussa and Ballika, two merchants from Ukallä (possibly
        Burma or Bangladesh). They become lay disciples by taking the
        two refuges. 7 days spent here
        5. The Buddha then returned to dwell at the foot of the Ajapäla
        tree. Then the thought occured to him that this Dhamma was
        profound and difficult to teach. Brahma Sahampati approached
        and begged him to teach. He agreed that there were some who
        would understand, and decided to go to teach the group of five
        monks at Saranath. Only five weeks so far. Perhaps the other
        two weeks were spent travelling to Saranath. Hopefully, others
        will correct me if I am wrong, or provide more detailed sources.