right livelihood/neighborhood sangha/ e-vows

  • ascetic75
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2003
      Dear Honorable Bhikkus:
      My question has several parts, and I sincerely hope you will be able
      to answer the question.

      1) would a job with the postal service in my home country constitute
      wrong livelihood? It involves no killing other than the invisible
      creatures that die when I start my vehicle. i will deliver mail.
      2) I want to vow to be a boddhisatva, but am very new to all this.
      There is no sangha in my neighborhood. i was wondering if I, with the
      kind help of all you worthy and seasoned Bhikkus, could make my vows
      before all of you and be accepted into the order of the bhikku
      myself, right now, as is- via Internet? i would, of course, continue
      to practice, meditate, and keep all my vows each and every day of my
      life. What say ye, O kind and compassionate Bhikkus who only want
      enlightenment for every creature?
      3) could i move one of you, perhaps, to want to move to my
      neighborhood, which i could disclose later in private email, in order
      to establish worthy sangha which would benefit all beings? this place
      really needs one.

      That is my question in its several parts. I am sincere and really
      want to grow in my practice and compassion. I look forward with
      hopeful and grateful heart any answer you gentle and balanced Bhikkus
      would send my way.

      Respect and palms joined,

      ascetic75
      who has not yet a buddhist name-
    • Ashin Punnobhasa
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2003
        Dear ascetic75,
        (1) An action (mental, verbal, or physical) becomes
        unwholesome when the intention of the action is with greed,
        hatred, and delusion.
        If you do not have the intention of killing any living
        being, you are not killing though a living being is killed. Let us
        take some examples. You drive your car on a road intending that
        you could kill small insects; your action is unwholesome even though
        there is no insect on the road at that time. You drive your car
        carefully so that no living beings would get killed, then your action is
        wholesome. You drive your car to deliver the letters without delay so
        that every body will be happy, then your action is wholesome. You
        drive your car without breaking road rules so that all drivers on the
        road will not face any danger from you, then you are having
        wholesome thoughts.

        What does matter is your intention of the action. If you are too
        skeptical about killing you may not even want to breathe. You walk
        in the darkness wishing that you could step on some insects, you have
        unwholesome mind. You cook your food wishing that you could boil up
        small worms; you have unwholesome mind. You walk in the darkness
        wishing that you would not step on any insects; you have wholesome mind.

        Keep your mind with wholesome intention. I don't think you deliver
        mails to kill any invisible creatures on the road. Be feel comfortable with your work; it is a good livelihood.

        (2) It is not possible to accept you as a Bhikkhu thorough internet. It should be done in person. There were some incidents of becoming a bhikkhuni (lady monk) through a messenger at the time of the Buddha. But she got a special permission from the Buddha himself due to the danger she might face if she tried to come to the bhikkhu sangha. You may attain enlightenment as a lay person too. Of course if you are a bhikkhu you could have more time for the
        practice.
        (a) You might want to leave your place for a place where you can become a bhikkhu or
        (b) you might want to support bhikkhu sangha grows in your neighborhood. Mean time you should continue your practice of sila (morality), Samadhi (concentration), and panna(realization) before you could do any of these two.

        (3) It would be benificial if a bhikkhu lives in your neighborhood and teach the Dhamma. Personally, I cannot take this wonderful opportunity since I have already had some responsibility in my place.

        With this reply, I would like to encourage to those bhikkhus who could help the questioner.

        Ashin Punnobhasa

        http://platinum.yahoo.com
      • jack haugen
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2003
          Dear Bhikku Punnobhasa
          Thank you, o Kind one, for your kindness and help in the matter i questioned
          you about.
          Please send a bhikku to my place quick!!! Thank you
          Respect, hands joined in appreciation
          jack