Re: dhammavicaya leads to nihilism?

  • bpesala
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2003
      A valid point. The Buddha did not praise every kind of meditation.
      The purpose of investigating the body/mind process is to remove
      attachment and self-view. We must learn when to apply it, and when
      not to.

      To overcome aversion and callous indifference, we should practise
      loving-kindness meditation, not insight meditation.

      To overcome lust and greed we should contemplate the repulsiveness of
      the body and the loathsome of food.

      In brief, the five facilties of faith, energy, mindfulness,
      concentration, and wisdom must be kept in balance. The wisdom
      faculty, of which dhammavicaya is one aspect, should be balanced with
      faith or confidence. Energy or effort must be balanced with
      concentration or tranquillity. Mindfulness does not need to be
      balanced with anything. Any amount of mindfulness is good - the more
      the better. It is mindfulness that will alert us when one of the
      other factors is getting out of balance.

      Are we getting too critical and aloof due to excess of wisdom? Then
      we need to develop loving-kindness or genuine equanimity (not
      indifference). People often criticise the Buddha (and monks) for
      being indifferent to the suffering of others. Why don't we do more to
      help others? Equanimity must be exercised when we are unable to help.
      If we interfere and try to help where it is not wanted, people will
      resent it. I am always doing that.