How would you tame the wildest person in Buddhist way?

  • Gnua Wam
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2003

      Dear venerable monks

      Buddhist was unique in persuading wild, uncivilized person to become civilized, and resposible person. This was one of the� nine characteristics of Buddha. ( Please forgive me if my traslation is wrong).

      How would you�persuade group of people who are iresposible, doing nothing for their people, stealing the others properties, drinking most of the time, systematic lying from TV, radio and newspaper? I doubt if they don't kill and rape.

      With metta

      Gnua Wam

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • bpesala
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2003
        Taming the Wildest Person

        Your translation of the Buddha's attribute is inaccurate in my view.
        Anuttaro purisadamma säratthi means "the incomparable charioteer
        (or trainer) of trainable persons." The wildest of persons cannot be
        trained at all. In that case the Buddha did not try to train them.

        Angulimäla was trainable, Devadatta was not, Sunakkhatta was not,
        Nigantha Nätaputta was not. The Buddha didn't train his opponents, he
        defeated them.

        What did the Buddha do with untrainable persons?
        He killed them.
        Yes, that is right. He killed them, but not literally. If they did
        not respond to his kind encouragement he gave them stern warnings. If
        they did not respond to those, he said nothing more. If the Buddha,
        or any good teacher, thinks that his pupils are not worth speaking
        to, that is death for them. They are destroyed or killed
        (spiritually), as they make themselves untrainable. See the link to
        the Kesi Sutta on my news page:

        http://www.aimwell.org/html/news.html

        One should be very careful about it, not to become untrainable, proud
        and stubborn. However bad one is, if one knows it, one is not
        hopeless. If one has some lesser faults, if one does not know it, one
        is hopeless.