Clarification on meditation

  • Mark Carter
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 2001
      Dear Bhante,

      I was reading about a meditation whose method is:
      "During the day when you are performing any task, perform the task with the
      focal zone of your consciousness, and at the same time be aware of your
      in-breaths and out-breaths in the marginal zone of your consciousness. "
      Do you think that this is a good technique?
      What sort of meditation would you call it? Concentration? Mindfulness?
      Vipassana?
      Assuming that it is developed assiduously, can the performance of this one
      meditation alone "lead all the way to enlightenment"?
      Do you think that the method has any defects or deficiencies?

      Also, what are your views on thought control for things like anger? Some
      teachers seem to suggest that we should simply bear with the raw energy of
      the emotion, whilst others seem to advocate trying to cut off the flow of
      thoughts surrounding the anger. A few months ago I resolved to see if I
      could attenuate anger. Now, when I experience anger (well, admittedly I
      maybe not be 100% perfect), I try to remember my resolve not to be angry,
      and to adopt a more philosphical attitude towards the source of the anger. I
      find that this helps, as I prefer it when my anger is of shorter duration
      and less intense. Do you think that this sort of practice should be
      continued?

    • ZaoMilinda Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 26, 2001
        Dear Mark,

        First, I would like to know what kinds of books you read? I would like to
        suggest that you read books written by reputable authors who are also meditation teachers. The Buddha taught us 40 types of meditation Techniques and there are many teachers teaching in different ways. But the two most useful types of meditations are mindfulness Meditation on Breathing and
        loving-kindness Meditation( Anapana Sati and Metta Bhavana).

        It is advisable for every-one to meditate according to those two methods for fifteen minutes a day and then extend the duration to 45 munutes. Ven. S. Dhammika mentioned in his book, 'Good Question and Good Answer', that most
        problems are caused by 'Kangaroo' meditation. As people go from one teacher, one technique, read one book, meditate for a while and jump to another teacher for his meditation technique, follow his book, practice his method and so on. Eventually they are confused. Switching from one teacher to another or from one technique to another is a common mistake. But if you have already understood the Teachings of the Buddha, you can practice different methods from different teachers.

        The Path to Enlightenment is clearly taught by the Buddha but the
        human beings are still in greed, hatred and delusion.

        When we meditate, we usually think of useless things of either the past,
        present or the future (Vitakka). That's why most meditation teachers
        advise meditators to control the mind and to be aware of breathing-in
        and breathing-out. Pay attention to mindfulness. Do not allow the mind go around
        the world, thinking all the time.

        When you get angry, you should meditate with Loving Kindness saying :
        "May all beings be free from suffering"
        "May all beings be free from anxiety"
        "May all beings be happy"

        You should not let your anger be your master but you yourself must be the
        master of your anger. Anger is overcome by Loving kindness, Greed is ovecome
        by the absence of greed and delusion is overcome by wisdom.

        In Buddha's time, there were many Arahants (Saints) attaining to
        Enlightenment by different meditation methods.

        Metta,

        Ven. Milinda
        ************

        On Sat, 15 Dec 2001 17:20:26 +0000 "Mark Carter"
        <cartermark46@...> writes:
        > Dear Bhante,
        >
        > I was reading about a meditation whose method is:
        > "During the day when you are performing any task, perform the task
        > with the
        > focal zone of your consciousness, and at the same time be aware of
        > your
        > in-breaths and out-breaths in the marginal zone of your
        > consciousness. "
        > Do you think that this is a good technique?
        > What sort of meditation would you call it? Concentration?
        > Mindfulness?
        > Vipassana?
        > Assuming that it is developed assiduously, can the performance of
        > this one
        > meditation alone "lead all the way to enlightenment"?
        > Do you think that the method has any defects or deficiencies?
        >
        > Also, what are your views on thought control for things like anger?
        > Some
        > teachers seem to suggest that we should simply bear with the raw
        > energy of
        > the emotion, whilst others seem to advocate trying to cut off the
        > flow of
        > thoughts surrounding the anger. A few months ago I resolved to see
        > if I
        > could attenuate anger. Now, when I experience anger (well,
        > admittedly I
        > maybe not be 100% perfect), I try to remember my resolve not to be
        > angry,
        > and to adopt a more philosphical attitude towards the source of the
        > anger. I
        > find that this helps, as I prefer it when my anger is of shorter
        > duration
        > and less intense. Do you think that this sort of practice should be
        >
        > continued?

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.