Solitary buddist practise

  • Antony Allen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2003
      Dear Venerable Monks,

      Can you suggest a source were I could find out about solitary practice? At the moment I'm unsure about temples near me but I want to follow a daily practice, as I am new to Buddhism I am unsure what this would precisely involve.

      Kindest regards

      Tony

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2 1:12 AM
        If you are new to Buddhism you don't have enough knowledge or experience to practice on your own. If there is no monastery or meditation centre near you, you will have to rely a lot on forums like this one and careful reading of Dhamma books. Ultimately, of course, we all have to practice in solitude and gain realisation by and for ourselves. No teacher can do it for us. However, spiritual friendship is vital for the spiritual life.

        Check out the MSN forums on NewtoBuddhism and Vipassana, and search Buddhanet to see if you can find a local meditation group. Even if it is a different tradition than the one that interests you most, you may find it helpful to meet with other Buddhists from time to time.

        If you can, go to do a meditation course for ten-days at least. That will give you a good foundation for practising on your own later.