Strong Words

  • Kevin Choong
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2003
      Dear Venerable sirs,

      I must admit that I am pretty sensitive to strong
      words eg believe. I remember once I was attending a
      Sunday School lesson, which my Sunday School teacher
      told the class about the strength of certain words,
      and in one case, believe. I remember that believe is
      a very strong word to describe some experiences which
      may or may not be accurate for our senses have limited
      ability to really comprehend the nature of some
      phenomena. Thus I strongly feel/am convinced that
      this word can only be reserved to individuals who have
      gain insight or attained Nibbana. I would rather use
      the word 'convince' as there isn't any catch or need
      to really hold on to certain 'believes'.

      Some other words which I encountered in everyday life
      are 'pray' and 'transference of merits'. Please
      advise.

      Thank you.

      Kevin

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2003
        Words, or indeed language is about conceptualisation. There are words and
        vocabularies in a language as far as members of that language group can
        conceptualise. conceptualisation is done through social interaction, study,
        philosophising (including expression of meditation experiences) etc.

        To define if a particular word is strong or weak depends on the concept of the
        people in that language group.

        Based on the above observation, the English word "believe" is weak, and
        not a strong one. this is clear when native speakers express "I believe", which
        means they are not sure. " I hope" is even weaker. "Expect" on the other hand
        is sure and strong. " I understand...." and " I am convinced ..." are in fact
        strong words.

        A belief is merely a belief as far as the English expression goes. Once it is
        verified, it is more than a belief, and in fact becomes a truth.

        A belief may be called saddha in Pali, and its verb form is saddah(a). This
        word is found to be in use also by non-Buddhists who believed in their teacher and his teaching. We need to remember that " belief/believe " is not a part of
        the seven factors of englightenment. This means at enlightement level, the
        expression "believe" may no longer be required.

        "Seeing" is a word that could be much stronger in Buddhist terminology. So,
        the English word " I see" could be a strong one, despite its different
        application in English.

        With metta,

        Ven. Dhammasami