Re: [SanghaOnline] AIDS

  • Myanmar Vihara
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2002
      Dear Kim
      I like to answer your question.

      We may divide Buddhist People into three.

      1. Those who do not really understand Buddhisim.
      2. Those who understand Buddhism intellectually but they don't practise.
      3. Those who understand Buddhism both intellectually and practically.

      Out of these three Buddhists, the first one is just traditional Buddhists, born as a Buddhist
      for their parents are Buddhists not because of realization of the Buddhism.

      The second one is just learned people but they don't follow the Buddha's teachings.
      I don't mean all especially among the lay people in this case.

      The third is the one who really believes in cause and effect so they avoid evil,
      cultivate good deeds and purify one's mind. He is wise and very few to find
      out nowadays.

      I just want to explain it a bit more how different between the 2nd and 3rd one.
      The second one knows that committing adultery is not a proper thing to do but
      he could not avoid it, then he got a problem with accused or HIV etc.
      The third one knows what the Buddha taught and lives accordingly.

      If we do not avoid the cause of HIV, we will get it.
      It is as simple as that.

      Actually HIV does not only concern with Buddhists but for all those
      who do not avoid the cause of this disease.

      We know the cause of HIV now a day. We know how to avoid it.
      We should follow the instruction for the prevention of HIV.
      It depends on individuals, not on the teaching of the Buddha and Buddhist
      countries.

      With Metta
      U Khemissara