Abhidhamma

  • aqesa
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
      Venerable Monks and dear brothers in the Dharma

      I am new to this forum. I have been reading all the posts and in one of
      them there was an offer to continue explaining Abhidhamma teachings.
      I am really very interested in reading it. I find extremely interesting
      the Abhidhamma not only for our personal work in the path but because I
      feel it is a very good tool for helping other´s in their way and in
      their understanding. Unfortunately, the Abhidhamma is not very
      available as other buddhist texts in western countries.

      Yours in the Dharma

      Barbara
    • Ashin Punnobhasa
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2002
        Dear Barbara,

        Welcome to learning the teaching of the Buddha!

        I remember I made the promise to continue the study on Abhidhamma. I appreciate your willingness to use the teaching for helping others. You may be reading the discussion on Abhidhamma from our monks. I am confident to discuss this subject since I know that there are learned monks who will give me correction and advice. There may be some other valuable discussion from other monks. Enjoy reading and practicing through it.

        Ashin Punnobhasa
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 19, 2004
          Yes, these books are good enough to study basic Abhidhamma. One who learn
          the Abhidhamma, a bit difficult to understand in the begining of learning.
          You need a close teacher to disscuss in detail.
          After you understand the meaning of Abhidhamma you can get confidence in the
          Dhamma what the Buddha tought. Please try to get a schooler monk to teach
          you. It may take time. OK
          With metta,
          Nandasiddhi.

          >From: Todd Martin <todd@...>
          >To: SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [SanghaOnline] Abhidhamma
          >Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:24:32 -0700
          >
          >Dear Venerable Sirs,,
          >
          >If I may, I'd like to ask about Abhidhamma, what it is, where it came
          >from etc. I'm thinking about purchasing the following books:
          >
          >1) A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma: The Abhidhammattha Sangaha of
          >Acariya Anuruddha
          >by Bhikkhu Bodhi (Translator), Anuruddha, Mahathera Narada (Editor)
          >

          >2)Abhidhamma Studies: Buddhist Explorations of Consciousness and Time
          >by Nyanaponika Thera, Nyanaponika, Bhikkhu Bodhi
          >

          >The subject appears on the outside to be beneficial. I however have
          >doubts because from what I understand the Buddha didn't actually teach
          >this?
          >
          >Could you please help me decide whether this is a good subject for
          >me to study in my free time and whether the above books are good study
          >material?
          >
          >-todd
          >
          >-------

        • Todd Martin
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 22, 2004
            I do not have access to a teacher, other than you =) I truly appreciate
            the reply and apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

            Is this list the correct place for me to ask question on Abhidhamma? I
            live in the desert of southern California and it's a 2 hour drive to the
            nearest teacher and even then they are Zen teachers not Therevadan.

            I ordered one of the books and will refrain from asking questions until
            I have had time to read and reflect on it. Thank you very much for your
            time and patience.

            Metta,
            -todd

            --
            Todd Martin
            todd@...
            Message 5 of 5 , May 24 8:16 PM
              Q1. What is the difference between "mano dhatu" and "Mani vinnana dhatu"?

              I know mano dhatu - 1 five sense door adverting consciousness ( panca
              dvaravajjana) and 2 upekkha sampaticchana ( reciving consciousness)
              Mano Viana Dhatu - 3 Ahetuka Santirana
              1 hasituppada
              1 mindoor adverting conciousness
              24kamavacara kusala,vipaka, kriya
              15 rupavacara kusala, vipaka, kriya
              12 Arupavacara kusala, vipaka, kriya
              8 lokuttara citta
              12 akusala citta

              I just want to know the reason behind the divison of this way.