Re: [SanghaOnline] Re: meditation

  • Chris de Ocejo
    Message 1 of 5 , May 24, 2012
      Venerable Sir,

      I am in the same position as Grayfox.  The closest Theravadin temple is 60 miles away, and I cannot travel that distance (I am a law student and on a very limited budget).  I have tried to contact the venerable bhikkhu at the temple, without luck.

      I am currently practicing samatha meditation with the goal of achieving jhana in order to better purify my concentration during vipassana (as well as strengthen my metta practice).  I have had experiences of what seems to be the nimitta - a bright light that cannot be from sight because my eyes are closed and the room in which I practice is dark - but I am not sure if this is the nimitta or not.

      I do not know if anyone has experience with this and could instruct me; I also have a chronic pain condition, and would greatly appreciate any help in using this pain to further my practice. I am mindful of the pain and have noted anicca, dukkha and anatta with regard to it, but still struggle with aversion to the pain itself.

      I also wish to thank everyone here for being here.  As a Theravadin practitioner in Hartford, CT, I am rather isolated.  It is invaluable to me that this group exists and I greatly benefit from having a community of similar practitioners, even if it is only online and not in person.  I wish you all the best: may you achieve liberation in this lifetime!

      On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM, grayfox0016 <grayfox0016@...> wrote:

      thank you very much for the reply. my problem is there are no theravada temples nearby. is there anyone in this group that could give me instruction?