Difficulties with Anapanasati

  • Chris de Ocejo
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2012
      Dear Venerable Sirs,

      I have a question with regard to the 8th Step the Buddha has taught regarding anapanasati, namely, calming the mind.  As I practice meditation on the breath, I feel as if my breath is slowing down and calming to the point where it feels as if it is almost gone.  At this point I often feel a sense of panic, and then there is a sharp inhalation which greatly disturbs whatever piti and sukha I have been able to generate.  As a result I have not been able to progress beyond this point.  Do you have any recommendations for how to calm the mind as the feeling of the breath begins to fade away?

      Thank you very much for your help.

      Chris de Ocejo
      Hartford, CT, USA