How do you call the head of the nunnery?

  • Pyait_Pyait
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 15, 2011
      Hello,

      My name is Pyait Pyait. I am from Myanmar and I worked at an international school in Yangon. I am very glad to find this question and answer section from  http://www.thisismyanmar.com/nibbana/    page on internet.

      I am currently volunteering at a Buddhist nunnery to teach basic English to the nuns. I'd like to know what's the proper term  to call the head of the nunnery in English? For example, I was thinking the head of the nunnery can be called Abbess? or Reverend Mother? I thought they sound a bit like Christian. Is there a vocabulary for Head of the Buddhist nunnery?  And are there any other terms I should know in English regarding the Buddhist nunnery?

      Your answer will be greatly appreciated. I don't want to make a mistake when teaching English to the nuns.

      Sincerely,
      Pyait Pyait
    • oxford.k.dhammasami@googlemail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2011
        Head nun
        Abbess
        Thilashin Sayagyi

        From: Pyait_Pyait <pyaitwoon@...>
        Sender: SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 15:03:18 +0630
        To: <SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [SanghaOnline] How do you call the head of the nunnery?

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 15, 2011
          Thank you so much, for your answer. I will use these terms in my teaching.

          With Best Wishes,
          Pyait Pyait

          On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 5:36 PM, <oxford.k.dhammasami@...> wrote:

          Head nun