Meaning of this burmese Pa-li prayer

  • pwint
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2010
      Dear sayardaws,

      I recently received the "gar-htar" which is to be recited before taking the exams, and it is helpful for students. I want to know what each word means in Burmese(or in english). I feel that reciting the "gar-htar" without knowing the real meaning of it is pointless.
      Can you please translate for me in burmese or in english?

      "Day war nan Nan da nor Day waw
      Day wa Day way na Nain da nor
      Way da Di nay hta Way day na
      Way di Way day na Way di nor"

      thank you very much
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 27, 2010
        I am not sure of the exact spellings, especially the thrid line is dificult to guess, given the way you spell it. Because you do not give it in Romanised scripts or the original Burmese scripts.

        But roughly it means:
        "The Buddha is the delight of all heavenly beings;
        By those heavenly beings He is not censured;
        With knowledge, He excells amongst the knowers;
        He knows the knowledge of who knows."

        I would love to see the original scripts. I think it is a praise of the Buddha's great wisdom.

        metta
        Venerable Dr. Dhammasami

        --
        Venerable Dr. Khammai Dhammasami, DPhil (Oxford)
        Executive Secretary, International Association of Buddhist Universities (www.iabu.org);