the five skandhas

  • twitch v
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2010
      most respected teachers, under which skandha would feelings, emotions, be under? and where do one's preferences, likes and dislikes fit?
    • Ashin Acara
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2010
        In my opinion all of them are included in vedanakkhanda, the aggregate of feelings.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2010
          Like and dislike and emotins such as frustration, anger, love and desire are part of the Sankharakkhanda.

          Metta
          Ven. Dhammasami

          --
          Venerable Dr. Khammai Dhammasami, DPhil (Oxford)
          Executive Secretary, International Association of Buddhist Universities (www.iabu.org);
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2010
            Dear Ven. Dhammasani,

            wouldn't you agree, that like and dislike are synonym with pleasant and unpleasant and as such belong to vedana khanda ?

            with Metta Dieter

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 6, 2010
              Vedana is in all the mental associates. So, in a way vedana is part of those. But like and dislike are part of lobha and dosa respectively which are sankharakkhandha. We can argue that both lobha and dosa are associated with vedana. One can also add that there is consciousness that works with that like and dislike; that consciousness is, as we know, citta.

              But the bottom line is citta in its pure function does not function as either like or dislike. Cita merely provides three functions: being conscious, thinking and know ing of some sort (vinnyana, citta, mana and ). In the same way, the pure function of vedana is one stage of knowing (please refer to the Madhupindhika-sutta of the Majjhima-nikaya), even if that knowing is associated with a pleasant (comfortable) and unpleasant (uncomfortable), even nuetral, experience.

              Like and dislike has passed the stages of both vedana and sannya, according to the above sutta. I think this sutta helps us understand the basic Abhidhamma clearly. One may reflect also the fact that in the Satipatthana-sutta, an expression fo "pleasant feeling" in the chapter of vedanaa-nupassanna, while a more developed form of "liking" (clinging/ raaga) is in the cittaa-nupassanaa.
              metta
              Ven. Dhammasami