Dhammakkhandha

  • han tun
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2010
      Venerable Bhantes,

      It is mentioned in the books that there are 84,000 dhammakkhandhas as follows:

      Sutta pi.taka = 21,000 dhammakkhandhas
      Vinaya pi.taka = 21,000 dhammakkhandhas
      Abhidhamma pi.taka = 42,000 dhammakkhandhas

      The question is how they are calculated?
      What is one dhammakkhandha?
      Pali Text Society Dictionary gives the meaning of dhammakkhandha as the (4) main portions or articles of the Dhamma (siila, samaadhi, pa~n~naa, vimutti). This definition does not help me to understand the 84,000 dhammakkhandhas.

      I would be most grateful if the Venerable Bhantes would kindly let me know how the dhammakkhandhas are counted?

      Respectfully,
      Dr Han Tun
    • han tun
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2010
        Venerable Khammai Dhammasami,

        Sir, I have posted the following question some time ago.
        But I did not yet get an answer.
        Therefore, I will be most grateful if you would kindly help me out with my question.

        Question:

        It is mentioned in the books that there are 84,000 dhammakkhandhas as follows:

        Sutta pi.taka = 21,000 dhammakkhandhas
        Vinaya pi.taka = 21,000 dhammakkhandhas
        Abhidhamma pi.taka = 42,000 dhammakkhandhas

        The question is how they are calculated?
        What is one dhammakkhandha?
        Pali Text Society Dictionary gives the meaning of dhammakkhandha as the (4) main portions or articles of the Dhamma (siila, samaadhi, pa~n~naa, vimutti). This definition does not help me to understand the counting of 84,000 dhammakkhandhas.

        I would be most grateful if you would kindly let me know how the dhammakkhandhas are counted.

        Respectfully,
        Dr Han Tun