meditation

  • happywanderer_nz
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2008
      Can you tell me why, in meditation do we concentrate on sensations
      when we are looking to understand that all is an illusion?
    • grayfox0016
      Message 2 of 5 , May 21, 2012
        Dear Venerable Sirs,

        i have been practicing theravada buddhism for ten years and have been for the past three years unable to remain conscious during meditation. i practice mindfulness of breathing. i have looked everywhere for information and tips on how to solve this problem, from the capala sutta to forums on buddhism and have found nothing that works. could you please give me some guidance?

        i also have a few questions about the satipatthana sutta which i have been focusing my practice on for the past year:

        how is it to be practiced?

        1.) all the techniques at once as they arise? like mindfulness of breathing when sitting meditation, four postures when driving, walking, going to sleep, or standing at work, charnel ground contemplations when one thinks of death or sees a graveyard, etc.?

        2.) pick one technique only (such as mindfulness of breathing or the postures) and be mindful of that only?

        3.) do all the techniques but in some kind of sequence? such as mindfulness of breathing for the first five days of each month, then four postures for the next five, charnel ground the next five, and so on?

        currently i do method number 1, i just wanted to make sure i was doing it right.

        further more i'm not sure how precisely to practice insight as described at the end of each section.

        thank you very much for your time.
        Message 3 of 5 , May 22, 2012
          I think you need a meditation teacher to closely guide you for a few days, or a couple of weeks, at least. Nothing can replace the experience of a teacher, no matter how many books/ texts/ suttas on meditation you have read.

          Meditation instruction is not inscribed on stone. It is flexible and changes as and when the situation requires. That judgement is made by the teacher before one is mature enough and becomes an independent practitioner.

          with metta,
          Ven. Dhammasami

          --
          Venerable Dr. Khammai Dhammasami, DPhil (Oxford)
          Executive Secretary, International Association of Buddhist Universities (www.iabu.org);

        • grayfox0016
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2012
            thank you very much for the reply. my problem is there are no theravada temples nearby. is there anyone in this group that could give me instruction?

            --- In SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com, Khammai Dhammasami <oxford.k.dhammasami@...> wrote:

            > I think you need a meditation teacher to closely guide you for a few days,
            > or a couple of weeks, at least. Nothing can replace the experience of a
            > teacher, no matter how many books/ texts/ suttas on meditation you have
            > read.
            >
            > Meditation instruction is not inscribed on stone. It is flexible and
            > changes as and when the situation requires. That judgement is made by the
            > teacher before one is mature enough and becomes an independent practitioner.
            >
            > with metta,
            > Ven. Dhammasami
            >
            > On 22 May 2012 03:27, grayfox0016 <grayfox0016@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Dear Venerable Sirs,
            > >
            > > i have been practicing theravada buddhism for ten years and have been for
            > > the past three years unable to remain conscious during meditation. i
            > > practice mindfulness of breathing. i have looked everywhere for information
            > > and tips on how to solve this problem, from the capala sutta to forums on
            > > buddhism and have found nothing that works. could you please give me some
            > > guidance?
            > >
            > > i also have a few questions about the satipatthana sutta which i have been
            > > focusing my practice on for the past year:
            > >
            > > how is it to be practiced?
            > >
            > > 1.) all the techniques at once as they arise? like mindfulness of
            > > breathing when sitting meditation, four postures when driving, walking,
            > > going to sleep, or standing at work, charnel ground contemplations when one
            > > thinks of death or sees a graveyard, etc.?
            > >
            > > 2.) pick one technique only (such as mindfulness of breathing or the
            > > postures) and be mindful of that only?
            > >
            > > 3.) do all the techniques but in some kind of sequence? such as
            > > mindfulness of breathing for the first five days of each month, then four
            > > postures for the next five, charnel ground the next five, and so on?
            > >
            > > currently i do method number 1, i just wanted to make sure i was doing it
            > > right.
            > >
            > > further more i'm not sure how precisely to practice insight as described
            > > at the end of each section.
            > >
            > > thank you very much for your time.
            > >

            > --
            > Venerable Dr. Khammai Dhammasami, DPhil (Oxford)
            > Executive Secretary, International Association of Buddhist Universities (
            > www.iabu.org);
            > Executive Secretary, Association of Theravada Buddhist Universities (
            > www.atbu.org);
            > Trustee & Fellow, Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies, University of Oxford;
            > Professor, ITBMU, Yangon;
            > Abbot, the Oxford Buddha Vihara, UK, Singapore & Malaysia

          • Chris de Ocejo
            Message 5 of 5 , May 24, 2012
              Venerable Sir,

              I am in the same position as Grayfox.  The closest Theravadin temple is 60 miles away, and I cannot travel that distance (I am a law student and on a very limited budget).  I have tried to contact the venerable bhikkhu at the temple, without luck.

              I am currently practicing samatha meditation with the goal of achieving jhana in order to better purify my concentration during vipassana (as well as strengthen my metta practice).  I have had experiences of what seems to be the nimitta - a bright light that cannot be from sight because my eyes are closed and the room in which I practice is dark - but I am not sure if this is the nimitta or not.

              I do not know if anyone has experience with this and could instruct me; I also have a chronic pain condition, and would greatly appreciate any help in using this pain to further my practice. I am mindful of the pain and have noted anicca, dukkha and anatta with regard to it, but still struggle with aversion to the pain itself.

              I also wish to thank everyone here for being here.  As a Theravadin practitioner in Hartford, CT, I am rather isolated.  It is invaluable to me that this group exists and I greatly benefit from having a community of similar practitioners, even if it is only online and not in person.  I wish you all the best: may you achieve liberation in this lifetime!

              Chris