Enjoyed Altogether

  • Ven. Acara
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2008
      Dear Mr Hun Htun,
      I remember an answer to a question that was very similar to yours.
      Q: "What would be identical kammic cause of lice in latrine?"
      A: "In their previous lives, they altogether enjoyed
      entertainment shows; they felt happy or sad at a single moment while
      enjoying a dramatic performance of happiness or sadness."
      This will encourage your dhamma thoughts, I hope.

      Yours in the Dhamma,
      Ashin Acara

      On 29/07/2008, han tun <hantun1@...> wrote:
      > Venerable Ashin Acara,
      >
      > Thank you very much, sir, for your kind explanation.
      > I overlooked the fact that many things in the world are conditioned by
      > certain cause(s), but not kammic effect(s).
      > You have cleared my doubts.
      >
      > Can I ask you another question, sir?
      > In natural calamities all over the world, such as cyclones and earthquakes,
      > many people die together within a few hours. Now how can we explain such
      > deaths by the Law of Kamma? Is there such a thing as "collective kamma"?
      > Have these people done akusala kammas at the same time in their previous
      > lives?
      >
      > Respectfully,
      > Han Tun

    • han tun
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2008
        Venerable Ashin Acara,

        > Ashin Acara: I remember an answer to a question that was very similar to yours.
        Q: "What would be identical kammic cause of lice in latrine?"
        A: "In their previous lives, they altogether enjoyed entertainment shows; they felt happy or sad at a single moment while
        enjoying a dramatic performance of happiness or sadness."
        This will encourage your dhamma thoughts, I hope.

        Han: This was the response by Ashin Acara to my question off-line, how to explain by the Law of Kamma when many people died within a short period of time in natural calamities such as cyclone and earthquake. When I received the above reply, I said that according to the example given above, can there be such a thing called “collective kamma” or “saha-kamma”? If so, it would be different from the Buddha’s teachings that kamma is very much personal and individual. I quoted Abhinha sutta (AN V, 57) which says: “I am the owner of my actions, heir of my actions, actions are the womb (from which I have sprung), actions are my relations, actions are my protection. Whatever actions I do, good or bad, of these I shall become the heir.”

        Ashin Acara replied that, frankly speaking, he didn't know if there is "collective kamma" in Pali Texts. He further explained that [Moreover, they did bad kammas at different times and in different places. Different kammas done by different people in different places may be ripened at a single place at the same moment.] This was a very reasonable reply and I humbly agree.

        However, when more than 100,000 people died in recent Myanmar cyclone, it may be difficult to explain satisfactorily by the Law of Kamma.

        Respectfully,
        Han Tun