Re: [SanghaOnline] Is it possible for a lay person to become a stream-winner?

  • Elaine
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
      Hello Ven. Acara, all,

      Thank you for your reply.

      During my meditation, there is a lot of "wandering mind" and "thinking". I cannot fix my concentration on the meditation object, i.e. rising and falling of the abdomen. I think the wandering mind occurs because the mind cannot settle down to some level of calmness. Is there a recommended technique to improve concentration? :-))

      I seldom "note" sitting or touching because it is too boring. Is it important to be aware of the sitting and/or the touching points?

      Thank you.

      Respectfully,
      Elaine

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2007
        In Burmese there is only one word for "Bored" and "Lazy." If we don't invest
        much, we won't get much interest. Noting should be energetic and precise.
        Noting only "rising" and "falling" is not sufficient to develop concentration,
        though everyone has to start somewhere.

        While noting rising and falling, there is a short gap between the end of the
        rising and before the beginning of the falling of the abdomen, and a longer
        gap before the rising movement. The mind can easily wander during these
        gaps, so one should note at least "Rising, falling, sitting," or "Rising, falling,
        touching."

        When concentration improves, one can notice many stages of the rising
        movement, and of the falling movement, for example: "Rising, rising, rising,
        sitting, falling, falling, falling, touching, touching." When noting "touching,"
        you can note whatever point of touch is most obvious to you: touching of the
        feet or buttocks on the floor, touching of the hands together, or the lips
        touching. It doesn't matter which, whatever happens to be distinct at any
        given moment. When noting "sitting" just be aware of the sitting posture,
        check that your back is straight, etc.

        The wandering mind must also be noted whenever it occurs.

        There are four foundations of mindfulness: the body, feelings, consciousness,
        and mental states. In the beginning, we should emphasise physical
        phenomena such as the movements of the abdomen, or the feet (in walking),
        and feelings such as pleasure and pain. Later, we should pay attention to
        more objects: seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, touching, thinking; and
        mental states: lustful, angry, lazy, restless, confused/doubting, etc. Later
        still, when the five hindrances have been dispelled by diligent noting and
        constant mindfulness, we may have to be aware of positive mental states
        such as joy, bliss, goose-bumps, etc.

        Concentration will improve if you practise more. Always precede sitting with
        at least ten or twenty minutes of walking meditation. Do more if you have
        time. The concentration gained from walking lasts for a long time, and
        wandering thoughts are quickly dispelled during walking because you must
        note many parts of each step, attentively to avoid falling over when walking
        VERY slowly.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2007
          Hello Bhante Pesala and Ven. Acara,

          Thank you for your advice.

          I'll keep on practising meditation with more energy. Meditation is the only method to cleanse the mind from defilements, all other methods are wrong. :-))

          I hope we can escape from the low-realm rebirth.

          May we be mindful at every moment. May we be well and happy. May we be free from mental & physical sufferings. And may we take care of ourselves happily.

          Sadhu!

          With metta and respect,
          Elaine