Mara - symbolic or personifaction of evil

  • mogaputra
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 16, 2002
      Dear Venerable Sirs

      I would like to pose the question of Mara being an actual sentient
      being inhabiting the higher deva realms whose single purpose appears
      to be hindering beings from gaining liberation. From my own limited
      understanding, the only "demons" we need to contend with is our very
      own hatred, lust and delusions. Is there any consensus in the Sangha
      about Mara being an actual deluded being or was this personification
      of evil introduced in the suttas as a skilful means to teach those
      brought up in a culture of a pantheon of gods and goddessess (e.g.
      Hinduism)?

      With metta
      Felix
    • ZaoMilinda Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16, 2002
        Dear Felix,

        Sorry we could not have enough times to answer the question as we all
        members are busy with our activities.
        Regarding your questions, Maras are personifications of various states.
        According to Buddhist literature there are five kinds of Maras, namely:
        Devaputta Mara - deity
        Kilesa Mara - passion
        Abhisankhara Mara - Kammic Activities
        Khanda Mara - five aggregates; form, feeling, perception, formation and
        consciousness.
        Macu Mara - death. (Visuddhimagga Sutta)

        Nowadays people use only demons as Mara beings living under the trees or
        pantheon.

        Metta,

        Ven. Milinda

        ****************

        On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 01:25:41 -0000 "mogaputra" <mogaputra@...>
        writes:
        > Dear Venerable Sirs
        >
        > I would like to pose the question of Mara being an actual sentient
        > being inhabiting the higher deva realms whose single purpose appears
        >
        > to be hindering beings from gaining liberation. From my own limited
        >
        > understanding, the only "demons" we need to contend with is our very
        >
        > own hatred, lust and delusions. Is there any consensus in the Sangha
        >
        > about Mara being an actual deluded being or was this personification
        >
        > of evil introduced in the suttas as a skilful means to teach those
        > brought up in a culture of a pantheon of gods and goddessess (e.g.
        > Hinduism)?
        >
        > With metta
        > Felix

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!