Re: [SanghaOnline] to Ven. Nagasena or to Ven. Nanda Siddhi

  • Ven. Acara
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28 4:27 AM
      Dear Dragoslak,
      As for me, I became interested in practice by reading books on the
      subjuce: PRACTICE. Please, try my way.
      Yours friendly and in the Dhamma,
      Acara

      --
      Acara
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2007
        --- In SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com, "dragoslak" <dragoslak@...> wrote:

        > There is a problem.I can not start to practice Dhamma.
        > I rather love to read about Buddha, his disciples - especially love
        > Ananda and Sariputta,study various historical events like Buddhist
        > Councils,controversy regarding Devadatta etc.
        >
        > How can I resolve this problem? Start to practice/not just read.

        There are many who disparage study and book knowledge, but practice
        without a proper understanding is unwise. Study, practice, and
        realisation are all necessary. Realisation can only come about through
        correct and diligent practice. If you have a good teacher, then you can
        practice without much study. If not, you will need to study much more to
        ensure that you are practising correctly.

        > Also, I can understand that there is no atman or supreme God yet I can
        > not to accept it in full.

        "Only seeing is believing," as the saying goes. If one gains insight
        knowledge through the correct and diligent practise of mindfulness then all
        doubts will be dispelled. Reading books and watching films about life in a
        foreign country like Burma cannot compare with travelling to that country
        and living there for some time. Reading menus and cookery books cannot
        compare with eating delicious food.

        > I love Buddha's sayings "be a teacher to yourself, who else can be
        that?"
        > and at the same time I hope for some kind of help from someone else
        > which is contradictory.

        The Buddha also said that he was someone who only showed the way. You
        yourself have to walk on the path. No one can do that for you. However, a
        teacher should be sought out who can show you the way. Without a teacher,
        progress will be very slow and uncertain. The best teacher is a Noble One
        who has realised nibbana for himself or herself. Failing that, someone
        with a good knowledge of the Tipitaka is second best. As a last resort one
        will have to study the Tipitaka oneself, and be one's own teacher.

        I don't know what the situation is in Serbia. Are there any Buddhist monks
        or meditation centres there? Probably you would have to travel to a
        Buddhist country to stay in a meditation centre for some time.