to Ven. Nagasena or to Ven. Nanda Siddhi

  • dragoslak
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2007
      Venerable Nagasena,

      I write to you from Serbia.After more then 12 years of study Bengal
      vaisnavism I met Buddha Dhamma via books of first bhikku from
      Yugoslavia called Bhikku Nanajivako. He was living at Hermitage Island
      or something like that at Sri Lanka and he was formally connected with
      Nyanaponika Mahathera and Myanmar tradition. After reading, I felt
      refreshed like after showering.

      But, there is a problem.I can not start to practice Dhamma.
      I rather love to read about Buddha,his disciples -especially love
      Ananda and Sariputta,study various historical events like Buddhist
      Councils,controversy regarding Devadatta etc .

      How can I resolve this problem? Start to practice/not just read.

      Also, I can understand that there is no atman or supreme God yet I can
      not to accept it in full. I love Buddha-s sayings > be teacher to
      yourself,who else can be that?< and at the same time I hope for some
      kind of help from someone else which is contradictory.I guess this is
      because my previous connections with Vaisnavism.

      So, I am glad that I was lucky to find this Forum and ask you for help.
    • Ven. Acara
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2007
        Dear Dragoslak,
        As for me, I became interested in practice by reading books on the
        subjuce: PRACTICE. Please, try my way.
        Yours friendly and in the Dhamma,
        Acara

        --
        Acara
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2007
          --- In SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com, "dragoslak" <dragoslak@...> wrote:

          > There is a problem.I can not start to practice Dhamma.
          > I rather love to read about Buddha, his disciples - especially love
          > Ananda and Sariputta,study various historical events like Buddhist
          > Councils,controversy regarding Devadatta etc.
          >
          > How can I resolve this problem? Start to practice/not just read.

          There are many who disparage study and book knowledge, but practice
          without a proper understanding is unwise. Study, practice, and
          realisation are all necessary. Realisation can only come about through
          correct and diligent practice. If you have a good teacher, then you can
          practice without much study. If not, you will need to study much more to
          ensure that you are practising correctly.

          > Also, I can understand that there is no atman or supreme God yet I can
          > not to accept it in full.

          "Only seeing is believing," as the saying goes. If one gains insight
          knowledge through the correct and diligent practise of mindfulness then all
          doubts will be dispelled. Reading books and watching films about life in a
          foreign country like Burma cannot compare with travelling to that country
          and living there for some time. Reading menus and cookery books cannot
          compare with eating delicious food.

          > I love Buddha's sayings "be a teacher to yourself, who else can be
          that?"
          > and at the same time I hope for some kind of help from someone else
          > which is contradictory.

          The Buddha also said that he was someone who only showed the way. You
          yourself have to walk on the path. No one can do that for you. However, a
          teacher should be sought out who can show you the way. Without a teacher,
          progress will be very slow and uncertain. The best teacher is a Noble One
          who has realised nibbana for himself or herself. Failing that, someone
          with a good knowledge of the Tipitaka is second best. As a last resort one
          will have to study the Tipitaka oneself, and be one's own teacher.

          I don't know what the situation is in Serbia. Are there any Buddhist monks
          or meditation centres there? Probably you would have to travel to a
          Buddhist country to stay in a meditation centre for some time.