Have i been enlightened?

  • annf79uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19, 2007
      Dear Venerables,

      Havin been without religion for nearly 12 years, after turning away
      from the one i was born into, i now feel enlightened, but how can i
      know this for sure? I study a little each day and have made contacts
      with my local buddhist centre. I did not intentionally decide to become
      a buddist, but i feel as though i have been led here, through my
      shameful inability to control my anger,paranoia,increased alcohol
      intake, and reluctance to seek help. I could not find answers in the
      medical world as i have from the few readings so far. I feel happy to
      have begun my journey, and in relation to my children (7yrs, 3yrs,
      18mths), is it up to them, me, or a higher being to say they are
      buddhists, like how most religions would without askin the child?

      Many thanks in advance

      Annmarie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2007
        Dear Anne Marie

        I always advise parents that the best way to teach their children about
        religion is to live according to its principles. Children tend not to do
        what their parents say, they tend to do what their parents do. Children
        learn how to speak, how to dress, how to sit, how to treat visitors, how
        to care for animals, how not to kill bugs, how to clean their living
        space, and other essential skills from their parents.

        So don't indoctrinate them, or limit their natural intelligence in any
        way. Just provide your children with a wholesome environment in which to
        grow up. Later, when and if their wisdom is mature, they will understand
        the Dhamma.

        Drive all of the evil spirits out of your house: Gin, Whisky, Rum, Vodka,
        etc. These evil spirits don't want to live with good Buddhists. Neither do
        wine, beer, cider, and other intoxicants.

        The best gift for your children is to give the TV away to someone else.
        You will be amazed at how much more time you have to talk and do creative
        things together.