Rituals and Superstitions in Theravada Buddhism

  • vikas_maniar
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2007
      I am very new to the theravda tradition and Buddhism in general.

      While I find believing in Sila, Panna and Samadhi come naturaly to me
      and I am trying to get initiated in all the three, I am finding in
      very difficult to believe in some of the anecdotes / practices such
      as -
      - references to deva's (reminds of Hindu Deva's and associated
      rituals and superstitions around them), gandharva's etc.
      - remembering previous lives
      - psychic powers
      - predicting future (astrology)
      - reference to other celestial realms
      - paritta chanting and other rituals
      - asking favours from Buddha

      Should I believe in them for me to practice the path of Dhamma? I
      would be greatly obliged if Venerable teachers on this forum help me
      with my doubts.

      Vikas