Thaton Mingun Jetawun

  • Jotika
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 23, 2007
      Dear Venerables,
      I am doing studies on Buddhism and meditation. I am curious to know
      more about the life and work of Thaton Mingun Jetawun Sayadaw, who
      was the meditation teacher of Mahasi Sayadaw. It is mentioned briefly in
      the biorgraphy of Mahasi Sayadaw in mahasi.orgmm. Where can I access
      to the source, books, articles, journals to get more information on this?
      with metta,
      Joe
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 23, 2007
        Dera Jotika,
        Why do tou want to know about the Mingun Jetawun Sayadaw? He was passed
        aways long ago. What I know is that Thaton town is one of the small town in
        the Mon state southern part of Myanmar. Jetawun Mornastry is about one km
        from town that on the highway of Rangoon(Yangon) to Moulmein ( molamyine
        ).It near the foothill, very quiet place good for meditation. I have been a
        fews times. There are some junior sayadaws take the responsibility of
        teaching the Dhamma and Meditation by Mahasi Sayadaw's method. Mingun
        Jetawun Sayadaw quite famous in Meditation at those time, now not much
        people went there. This is not the one who is famous as Mingun Tipitaka
        Sayadaw .

        Any way I would like to suggest you that studies the buddhism and meditation
        is to know about your self first. The Mungun Jetawun Sayadaw was an Arahan
        or not is not so inportant for us. We need to understand what we are. How is
        the reality of our life. That could be learned form Buddha teaching and
        Meditation.

        OK?
        May you be able to clear your way of learning the Buddhism.
        With Metta.

        nandasiddhi.

        >From: "Jotika" <jopl123@...>
        >To: SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [SanghaOnline] Thaton Mingun Jetawun
        >Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:22:20 -0000
        >
        >Dear Venerables,
        >I am doing studies on Buddhism and meditation. I am curious to know
        >more about the life and work of Thaton Mingun Jetawun Sayadaw, who
        >was the meditation teacher of Mahasi Sayadaw. It is mentioned briefly in
        >the biorgraphy of Mahasi Sayadaw in mahasi.orgmm. Where can I access
        >to the source, books, articles, journals to get more information on this?
        >with metta,
        >Joe

        http://search.msn.com/
      • Herngseng_leng
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 10, 2007
          Dear Jotika,

          I am glad to know that you are curious to know the story of Thaton
          Mingun Jetawun Sayadaw. It sounds really nice to hear that you are
          doing Buddhist studies.

          Fortunately for you, I have recently read the Thaton Mingun Jetawun
          Sayadaw's history from Appamada Magazine.Written by Ashin Pandita
          (Bedari(Attach 4, and No-8, 2003-Agust Pages 122 to 125) if you want
          detail, I can send you all about his Bio.

          Although his name is Thaton Mingun Jetawun, in the reality he was
          born in Sagain Division, at Kyauk Pa Nan Ywa which is located far
          from Sagain city only 10 miles. He was born in 1230 and passed away
          in 1316. ( Note, Myanmar Era).

          It is said that he had learnt Pali, commentaries, sub-commentaries
          systematically by heart even from his young age. He had also learnt
          Netti, Padakopadesa, and so on He started practicing meditation at
          MinGun Ku Lay Chaung , Sagain, and instructing meditation at the
          age of 40. He had written so many books as he was a Pali scholar.

          He passed away at the Jetawun monetary which is far from Thaton City
          one mile.

          I hope this helps you, if you wana know more detail, I can send u
          photo copy one.

          With metta,
          Ashin Pannyabhoga
          Korea

          --- In SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com, "Sayadaw Nanda Siddhi"
          <nanda_siddhi@...> wrote:

          > Dera Jotika,
          > Why do tou want to know about the Mingun Jetawun Sayadaw? He was
          passed
          > aways long ago. What I know is that Thaton town is one of the
          small town in
          > the Mon state southern part of Myanmar. Jetawun Mornastry is about
          one km
          > from town that on the highway of Rangoon(Yangon) to Moulmein (
          molamyine
          > ).It near the foothill, very quiet place good for meditation. I
          have been a
          > fews times. There are some junior sayadaws take the responsibility
          of
          > teaching the Dhamma and Meditation by Mahasi Sayadaw's method.
          Mingun
          > Jetawun Sayadaw quite famous in Meditation at those time, now not
          much
          > people went there. This is not the one who is famous as Mingun
          Tipitaka
          > Sayadaw .
          >
          > Any way I would like to suggest you that studies the buddhism and
          meditation
          > is to know about your self first. The Mungun Jetawun Sayadaw was
          an Arahan
          > or not is not so inportant for us. We need to understand what we
          are. How is
          > the reality of our life. That could be learned form Buddha
          teaching and
          > Meditation.
          >
          > OK?
          > May you be able to clear your way of learning the Buddhism.
          > With Metta.
          >
          > nandasiddhi.
          >

          > >From: "Jotika" <jopl123@...>
          > >To: SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [SanghaOnline] Thaton Mingun Jetawun
          > >Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:22:20 -0000
          > >
          > >Dear Venerables,
          > >I am doing studies on Buddhism and meditation. I am curious to
          know
          > >more about the life and work of Thaton Mingun Jetawun Sayadaw, who
          > >was the meditation teacher of Mahasi Sayadaw. It is mentioned
          briefly in
          > >the biorgraphy of Mahasi Sayadaw in mahasi.orgmm. Where can I
          access
          > >to the source, books, articles, journals to get more information
          on this?
          > >with metta,
          > >Joe

          > http://search.msn.com/

        • jo hope
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14, 2007
            Dear Venerables and Dhamma friends,
            Thank you so much for your reply to my emails. I am so glad to hear from you and have learned more about Mingun Jetawun Sayadaw. Some Dhamma friends have sent the information and documents related to the Sayadaw directly to my personal email as well. I would like to express my gratitude to all of you, and thank you again for all your kind help.
            With respect and metta,
            Jo