Re: [SanghaOnline] Arahat or Sayadaws who didnt' know Abhidhamma

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2007
      Knowing Abhidhamma as it is in the books is not a requirement for an
      arahatship. Studying Abhidhamma the way we have been doing for about two
      hundred years in Myanmar, since Htan-da-pin Sayadawgyi's Vernacular analysis
      of Abhidhamma (Nya-wah) is to approach the arahatship through an academic
      journey.

      To be a good practitioner, it is NOT necessary to be an academic/scholar.
      And, understanding of dukkha, which is the main requirement for attaining
      enlightement is NOT confined to academic/scholastic way of learing the
      Dhamma, only. In fact, many meditation teachers agree that people with much
      scholastic opinion tends to take a longer road to freedom; at times, more
      theoretical than practical.

      Sunlun Sayadaw realised dukkha as it was; the same was true to Thei-in-gu
      Sayadaw. That was sufficient for enlightenment. They did not need to walk a
      long path like us through detailed study. They were beings with
      advanced/mature faculties; and thus had no need of sharpening their senses
      through scholastic exercises.

      I hope this helps.

      Yours truly in the Dhamma,
      Ven. Dhammasami

      On 1/19/07, sofgld <sofgld@...> wrote:

      > Dear Venerables
      >
      > I know there were some famous monks who were known
      > locally in Myanma(Burma) as arahats or anagams were not verse with
      > Abhidhamma.
      > eg
      > Soon-Lun Sayadaw U Kawi
      > Thare Inngu Sayadaw
      > These monks could answer all the Abhidhamma questions asked
      > simple usage.
      >
      > I am sure there were more and wish to know their names.
      >
      > I shall appreciate if the Venerables could
      > list them here or private email me in case you
      > don't want to reply it here.
      >
      > With great respect to all the Sanghas here
      >
      > SG

    • sof gold
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2007
        Bhante, thank you for your time.

        I was asking for the names of monks who were liberated without studying Abhidhamma.

        I know Abhidhamma and its usefulness for insight.

        Kind regards
        SG