Re: [SanghaOnline] Digest Number 570

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2006
      Dear phil,
      I would like to share the knowledge about noting of the touching point. Yogi
      who wants to practise the Vipassana Meditation by whatever method, one needs
      to cultivate the mindfulness and concentration with putting effort. That is
      basic need. So In our Mahasi sayadaw method to cultivate mindfulness and
      concentration we take our rising and falling of the abdomen when we are
      breathing. It is our main object. when we are observing the main object,
      sometimes our mind may wanders here and there, we have to pay more attention
      to get the object. If our mind is quite stable the object will be clear then
      we can get stronger firmer mindfulness and concentration. Then we can
      understand what it is going on in your body, feeling, mind and other many
      dhamma objects. That understanding is very useful for insight knowlegde.

      Concentration means one pointedness of the object. when we observe the main
      object of our abdomen some times it may be stop or fade out or could not
      observe clearly . During that time we observe the touching point of leg or
      hand or with the cusion. After the noting the touching point for a while we
      need to concern about the main object. It may be clear again, then we need
      to obverse the main object continuously. Sometimes umpleasant feeling like
      pain is very obvious we are difficult to take the main object , then we need
      to note the pain until it will be clear changing of the menner. If we can
      forbear the umpleasant pain, keep on observe the main object to cultivate
      the stronger and longer concentration and mindfulness. Then we can gain
      peace tranquility happiness and clear comprehension insight knowledge.

      It will take time, to get good result at least two month non stop,
      continuously 14 hours per day, walking meditation and sitting meditation
      when we are practising , under the Panditarama Sayadaw U Panditabhivansa as
      the same way. There is no short cut, need a lot of patience. ok.

      If you are really want to learn welcome to Malaysia that I can help, Now I
      conduct the Meditation retreat through out the year at
      NIRODHARAMA MEDITATION CENTRE
      26265 , JALAN COLUMBIA,
      32400, AYER TAWAR, MANJUNG, PERAK
      MALAYSIA.
      TEL: +6012 7385 386, + 6016 366 8677, +6017 50 787 60
      Free of charge for all real yogis, lodging, food are provided.

      Sayadaw Nandasiddhi.

    • Phil
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2006
        Dear Ven. Upatissa and all

        > I would love to see the response to this email!

        Thank you. No hurry, though. Since I am a beginner by the time I
        ask one question, another one has popped up. It's good for me to
        learn patience.

        > > I have listened to talks, and have heard some things about
        using
        > > a noting of touch (perhaps feet on floor, or bottom on cushion)
        as a
        > > third note to discourage mind from wandering between noting of
        > > rising and falling of the abdomen.

        One thing I have come across recently is that there is a very
        natural point of rest between the rising and falling, when the
        abdomen has contracted and there is a slight sense of tension around
        the navel before the next breath comes. I find that's a helpful
        point to note. I note rising - falling -rest- rising- falling -rest.
        It's also interesting to note how the next breath starts without any
        control on my part - it just happens - anatta. But I have never
        heard this point of rest between in and out breath mentionned as a
        possible object of attention so I think I am off-mark.

        I am happy to wait for any feedback, very grateful for the
        opportunity to be in touch with venerable monks.

        Phil
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2006
          Dear Philco,
          It is nature of our self as normal. When you have stronger concentration and
          mindfulness you can get more experience of the nature of the dhamma. Try
          more and more slowly , take more experience of nature of being.
          thank
          Sayadaw Nandasiddhi.

          >From: "Phil" <philco777@...>
          >To: SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [SanghaOnline] Re: Digest Number 570
          >Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 14:53:49 -0000
          >

          > Dear Ven. Upatissa and all
          >
          > > I would love to see the response to this email!
          > >

          > Thank you. No hurry, though. Since I am a beginner by the time I
          >ask one question, another one has popped up. It's good for me to
          >learn patience.
          > >

          > > > I have listened to talks, and have heard some things about
          >using
          > > > a noting of touch (perhaps feet on floor, or bottom on cushion)
          >as a
          > > > third note to discourage mind from wandering between noting of
          > > > rising and falling of the abdomen.
          >
          > One thing I have come across recently is that there is a very
          >natural point of rest between the rising and falling, when the
          >abdomen has contracted and there is a slight sense of tension around
          >the navel before the next breath comes. I find that's a helpful
          >point to note. I note rising - falling -rest- rising- falling -rest.
          >It's also interesting to note how the next breath starts without any
          >control on my part - it just happens - anatta. But I have never
          >heard this point of rest between in and out breath mentionned as a
          >possible object of attention so I think I am off-mark.
          >
          > I am happy to wait for any feedback, very grateful for the
          >opportunity to be in touch with venerable monks.
          >
          > Phil

        • truong truong tiep
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 10, 2006
            Dear Bhante,

            What about jhanas? Is it taught too at your place?

            Is vipassana the right practice when you have depression, for people with negative karmas, etc?

            I was told that vipassana can be harmful for those people with a weak ego. The budhha himself did jhanas to prepare for insight practice.

            Truong

            Sayadaw Nanda Siddhi <nanda_siddhi@...> wrote:

            Dear Philco,
            It is nature of our self as normal. When you have stronger concentration and
            mindfulness you can get more experience of the nature of the dhamma. Try
            more and more slowly , take more experience of nature of being.
            thank
            Sayadaw Nandasiddhi.

            >From: "Phil" <philco777@...>
            >To: SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [SanghaOnline] Re: Digest Number 570
            >Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 14:53:49 -0000
            >

            > Dear Ven. Upatissa and all
            >
            > > I would love to see the response to this email!
            > >

            > Thank you. No hurry, though. Since I am a beginner by the time I
            >ask one question, another one has popped up. It's good for me to
            >learn patience.
            > >

            > > > I have listened to talks, and have heard some things about
            >using
            > > > a noting of touch (perhaps feet on floor, or bottom on cushion)
            >as a
            > > > third note to discourage mind from wandering between noting of
            > > > rising and falling of the abdomen.
            >
            > One thing I have come across recently is that there is a very
            >natural point of rest between the rising and falling, when the
            >abdomen has contracted and there is a slight sense of tension around
            >the navel before the next breath comes. I find that's a helpful
            >point to note. I note rising - falling -rest- rising- falling -rest.
            >It's also interesting to note how the next breath starts without any
            >control on my part - it just happens - anatta. But I have never
            >heard this point of rest between in and out breath mentionned as a
            >possible object of attention so I think I am off-mark.
            >
            > I am happy to wait for any feedback, very grateful for the
            >opportunity to be in touch with venerable monks.
            >
            > Phil

          • Phil
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 11, 2006
              Dear Venerable Nandasiddhi

              Many thanks for your post. I have printed it out and will reflect
              on it. I am also listening to talks by 4 different Sayadaws
              (including Sayadaw U Pandita's excellent talks, in translation) and
              reading Mahasi Sayadaw's book (an of course have heard the
              introductory talk that is given to yogis) so I will be getting good
              guidance, I think. I'll try not to get lost in too much speculative
              thought and just follow the instructions, which are very clear.

              And I will visit the center in Tokyo and perhaps meet a teacher
              there. I hope I will have the opportunity to do a retreat under your
              guidance in Malaysia, some day.

              Thanks again.

              Phil

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 12, 2006
                Dear Truong

                Yes, I teach Vipassana Jhana. Vipassana is the right practice anytimes for
                everyone. Even you got bad or good kamma. If you practise Vipassana
                meditation you can understand about yourself your kamma is good or bad. If
                it is good then it will be better, if it is bad it will become good. We need
                to understand more. There are no harm in Vipassana meditation for everyone,
                it can be lesser the ego greed anger delusion and all defilement. If you go
                the right way and path , the more you practise the clearer you can see
                about yourself and must be the better in your life.

                After you get right experience then all of your doubt will be clear, so
                please try to take your own experience first. Don't trust what other says.

                May you be well happy and able to get more right own experience.

                With metta,

                nandasiddhi