Re: [SanghaOnline] Digest Number 570

  • Ven. S. Upatissa
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
      I would love to see the response to this email!

      -Ven. Upatissa

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2006
        Dear phil,
        I would like to share the knowledge about noting of the touching point. Yogi
        who wants to practise the Vipassana Meditation by whatever method, one needs
        to cultivate the mindfulness and concentration with putting effort. That is
        basic need. So In our Mahasi sayadaw method to cultivate mindfulness and
        concentration we take our rising and falling of the abdomen when we are
        breathing. It is our main object. when we are observing the main object,
        sometimes our mind may wanders here and there, we have to pay more attention
        to get the object. If our mind is quite stable the object will be clear then
        we can get stronger firmer mindfulness and concentration. Then we can
        understand what it is going on in your body, feeling, mind and other many
        dhamma objects. That understanding is very useful for insight knowlegde.

        Concentration means one pointedness of the object. when we observe the main
        object of our abdomen some times it may be stop or fade out or could not
        observe clearly . During that time we observe the touching point of leg or
        hand or with the cusion. After the noting the touching point for a while we
        need to concern about the main object. It may be clear again, then we need
        to obverse the main object continuously. Sometimes umpleasant feeling like
        pain is very obvious we are difficult to take the main object , then we need
        to note the pain until it will be clear changing of the menner. If we can
        forbear the umpleasant pain, keep on observe the main object to cultivate
        the stronger and longer concentration and mindfulness. Then we can gain
        peace tranquility happiness and clear comprehension insight knowledge.

        It will take time, to get good result at least two month non stop,
        continuously 14 hours per day, walking meditation and sitting meditation
        when we are practising , under the Panditarama Sayadaw U Panditabhivansa as
        the same way. There is no short cut, need a lot of patience. ok.

        If you are really want to learn welcome to Malaysia that I can help, Now I
        conduct the Meditation retreat through out the year at
        NIRODHARAMA MEDITATION CENTRE
        26265 , JALAN COLUMBIA,
        32400, AYER TAWAR, MANJUNG, PERAK
        MALAYSIA.
        TEL: +6012 7385 386, + 6016 366 8677, +6017 50 787 60
        Free of charge for all real yogis, lodging, food are provided.

        Sayadaw Nandasiddhi.

      • Phil
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2006
          Dear Ven. Upatissa and all

          > I would love to see the response to this email!

          Thank you. No hurry, though. Since I am a beginner by the time I
          ask one question, another one has popped up. It's good for me to
          learn patience.

          > > I have listened to talks, and have heard some things about
          using
          > > a noting of touch (perhaps feet on floor, or bottom on cushion)
          as a
          > > third note to discourage mind from wandering between noting of
          > > rising and falling of the abdomen.

          One thing I have come across recently is that there is a very
          natural point of rest between the rising and falling, when the
          abdomen has contracted and there is a slight sense of tension around
          the navel before the next breath comes. I find that's a helpful
          point to note. I note rising - falling -rest- rising- falling -rest.
          It's also interesting to note how the next breath starts without any
          control on my part - it just happens - anatta. But I have never
          heard this point of rest between in and out breath mentionned as a
          possible object of attention so I think I am off-mark.

          I am happy to wait for any feedback, very grateful for the
          opportunity to be in touch with venerable monks.

          Phil
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 9, 2006
            Dear Philco,
            It is nature of our self as normal. When you have stronger concentration and
            mindfulness you can get more experience of the nature of the dhamma. Try
            more and more slowly , take more experience of nature of being.
            thank
            Sayadaw Nandasiddhi.

            >From: "Phil" <philco777@...>
            >To: SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [SanghaOnline] Re: Digest Number 570
            >Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 14:53:49 -0000
            >

            > Dear Ven. Upatissa and all
            >
            > > I would love to see the response to this email!
            > >

            > Thank you. No hurry, though. Since I am a beginner by the time I
            >ask one question, another one has popped up. It's good for me to
            >learn patience.
            > >

            > > > I have listened to talks, and have heard some things about
            >using
            > > > a noting of touch (perhaps feet on floor, or bottom on cushion)
            >as a
            > > > third note to discourage mind from wandering between noting of
            > > > rising and falling of the abdomen.
            >
            > One thing I have come across recently is that there is a very
            >natural point of rest between the rising and falling, when the
            >abdomen has contracted and there is a slight sense of tension around
            >the navel before the next breath comes. I find that's a helpful
            >point to note. I note rising - falling -rest- rising- falling -rest.
            >It's also interesting to note how the next breath starts without any
            >control on my part - it just happens - anatta. But I have never
            >heard this point of rest between in and out breath mentionned as a
            >possible object of attention so I think I am off-mark.
            >
            > I am happy to wait for any feedback, very grateful for the
            >opportunity to be in touch with venerable monks.
            >
            > Phil

          • truong truong tiep
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 10, 2006
              Dear Bhante,

              What about jhanas? Is it taught too at your place?

              Is vipassana the right practice when you have depression, for people with negative karmas, etc?

              I was told that vipassana can be harmful for those people with a weak ego. The budhha himself did jhanas to prepare for insight practice.

              Truong

              Sayadaw Nanda Siddhi <nanda_siddhi@...> wrote:

              Dear Philco,
              It is nature of our self as normal. When you have stronger concentration and
              mindfulness you can get more experience of the nature of the dhamma. Try
              more and more slowly , take more experience of nature of being.
              thank
              Sayadaw Nandasiddhi.

              >From: "Phil" <philco777@...>
              >To: SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [SanghaOnline] Re: Digest Number 570
              >Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 14:53:49 -0000
              >

              > Dear Ven. Upatissa and all
              >
              > > I would love to see the response to this email!
              > >

              > Thank you. No hurry, though. Since I am a beginner by the time I
              >ask one question, another one has popped up. It's good for me to
              >learn patience.
              > >

              > > > I have listened to talks, and have heard some things about
              >using
              > > > a noting of touch (perhaps feet on floor, or bottom on cushion)
              >as a
              > > > third note to discourage mind from wandering between noting of
              > > > rising and falling of the abdomen.
              >
              > One thing I have come across recently is that there is a very
              >natural point of rest between the rising and falling, when the
              >abdomen has contracted and there is a slight sense of tension around
              >the navel before the next breath comes. I find that's a helpful
              >point to note. I note rising - falling -rest- rising- falling -rest.
              >It's also interesting to note how the next breath starts without any
              >control on my part - it just happens - anatta. But I have never
              >heard this point of rest between in and out breath mentionned as a
              >possible object of attention so I think I am off-mark.
              >
              > I am happy to wait for any feedback, very grateful for the
              >opportunity to be in touch with venerable monks.
              >
              > Phil

            • Phil
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 11, 2006
                Dear Venerable Nandasiddhi

                Many thanks for your post. I have printed it out and will reflect
                on it. I am also listening to talks by 4 different Sayadaws
                (including Sayadaw U Pandita's excellent talks, in translation) and
                reading Mahasi Sayadaw's book (an of course have heard the
                introductory talk that is given to yogis) so I will be getting good
                guidance, I think. I'll try not to get lost in too much speculative
                thought and just follow the instructions, which are very clear.

                And I will visit the center in Tokyo and perhaps meet a teacher
                there. I hope I will have the opportunity to do a retreat under your
                guidance in Malaysia, some day.

                Thanks again.

                Phil

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 12, 2006
                  Dear Truong

                  Yes, I teach Vipassana Jhana. Vipassana is the right practice anytimes for
                  everyone. Even you got bad or good kamma. If you practise Vipassana
                  meditation you can understand about yourself your kamma is good or bad. If
                  it is good then it will be better, if it is bad it will become good. We need
                  to understand more. There are no harm in Vipassana meditation for everyone,
                  it can be lesser the ego greed anger delusion and all defilement. If you go
                  the right way and path , the more you practise the clearer you can see
                  about yourself and must be the better in your life.

                  After you get right experience then all of your doubt will be clear, so
                  please try to take your own experience first. Don't trust what other says.

                  May you be well happy and able to get more right own experience.

                  With metta,

                  nandasiddhi