321Re: [SanghaOnline] Instructions

  • Bhikkhu Bodhidhamma
    Jun 2, 2003
      Dear Darrell

      When there is a perception of the insubstantiality of phenomenal existence,
      this rebounds on the concept of 'me'. It undermines the 'solidity' of the
      self. The self reacts with fear. The fear of it's own insubstantiality, of
      death. (Tibetan Buddhism would call it emptiness.)

      When fear arises, a reaction sets in of fear. Fear of the fear. Hence panic.
      In your sitting meditation, when the fear arises, notice the fear of it.
      Keep doing this until you begin to feel 'comfortable' with fear. As you move
      inwardly towards the fear, centre more on the physical sensations, this will
      undermine your fear of it. That fear is as insubstantial as the atom you
      saw. It's not me, not mine. Eventually, the fear will expend itself and the
      insight you had with atoms will eventually transform the heart. Just as the
      insight transformed the way you see things, the end of fear will transform
      the way you experience the world at a feeling level. You will become more

      When we lose our fear of fear, what will frighten us?

      Yes, it is definitely better if you work with a teacher, for they will give
      you the confidence you need to face the fear.

      Please use this email address: bodhidhamma@...

      Website: www.satipanya.org.uk

      My address : Gaia House West Ogwell Newton Abbot Devon TQ12 6EN
      To contact by phone please leave a message on Tel: 01626 333613