143Re: [SanghaOnline] Death

    Sep 23, 2002
      The ritual conducted behind by the living affects little the life of those
      gone. Meaning, his good life, good practice and good thoughts are the main
      gaurdian for him. No different funeral or chanting as far as the dhamma is
      concerned; if there is, it is due to cultural development.

      There are two things when you do anything for him that you should keep in mind
      so that you have a sense of purpose: first they are for him. It is to accummulate merit for yourself so you are rich enough with merit that you can help him in whatever way still possible. This means to share the merit with him.

      Second, to reflect on the impermanency that he has expressed co clearly in
      the process, and learn to live a life with less attachment, anger and delusion
      as a result.

      Where and how yo scatter the ashes matter only as far as your perception goes.

      Life is impermanent; not everlasting; but fleeting.

      With Metta,

      Ven.Dhammasami