1323Re: [SanghaOnline] Samyojanas

  • Dieter Moeller
    Oct 3, 2012
      Dear Venerables Sirs,

      like Dr. Han Tun I stumbled upon the difference between the squence of Samyojana as stated in the Suttas and the version of Abhidhamma.
      I  would appreciate if you could help with an explanation respectively refer to a link the question may be addressed to.

      The different definition of the 10 fetters in the Suttas and Abhidhamma according to Venerable  Nyanatiloka's Buddhist Dictionary :

      (A.IX.67-68; A.X.13; D.33, etc.)
      • (1) personality-belief (sakkāya-ditthi)
      • (2) sceptical doubt (vicikicchā)
      • (3) clinging to mere rules and ritual (sīlabbata-parāmāsa; s. upādāna)
      • (4) sensuous craving (kāma-rāga)
      • (5) ill-will (vyāpāda)
      • (6) craving for fine-material existence (rūpa-rāga)
      • (7) craving for immaterial existence (arūpa-rāga)
      • (8) conceit (māna)
      • (9) restlessness (uddhacca)
      • (10) ignorance (avijjā)

      The 10 fetters as enumerated in the Abhidhamma, e.g. Vibh. XVII, are:

      1. sensuous craving,
      2. ill-will,
      3. conceit,
      4. wrong views,
      5. sceptical doubt,
      6. clinging to mere rules and ritual,
      7. craving for existence,
      8. envy,
      9. stinginess,
      10. ignorance.
      unquote

        I assume that the sequence of both versions  refer to Ariya Puggala , the different types of the Noble Ones , which-I.M.H.O.- excludes different schemes .

      Thank you for your attention,

      with Metta Dieter