1315Re: [SanghaOnline] meditation

    May 22, 2012
      I think you need a meditation teacher to closely guide you for a few days, or a couple of weeks, at least. Nothing can replace the experience of a teacher, no matter how many books/ texts/ suttas on meditation you have read.

      Meditation instruction is not inscribed on stone. It is flexible and changes as and when the situation requires. That judgement is made by the teacher before one is mature enough and becomes an independent practitioner.

      with metta,
      Ven. Dhammasami

      On 22 May 2012 03:27, grayfox0016 <grayfox0016@...> wrote:

      Dear Venerable Sirs,

      i have been practicing theravada buddhism for ten years and have been for the past three years unable to remain conscious during meditation. i practice mindfulness of breathing. i have looked everywhere for information and tips on how to solve this problem, from the capala sutta to forums on buddhism and have found nothing that works. could you please give me some guidance?

      i also have a few questions about the satipatthana sutta which i have been focusing my practice on for the past year:

      how is it to be practiced?

      1.) all the techniques at once as they arise? like mindfulness of breathing when sitting meditation, four postures when driving, walking, going to sleep, or standing at work, charnel ground contemplations when one thinks of death or sees a graveyard, etc.?

      2.) pick one technique only (such as mindfulness of breathing or the postures) and be mindful of that only?

      3.) do all the techniques but in some kind of sequence? such as mindfulness of breathing for the first five days of each month, then four postures for the next five, charnel ground the next five, and so on?

      currently i do method number 1, i just wanted to make sure i was doing it right.

      further more i'm not sure how precisely to practice insight as described at the end of each section.

      thank you very much for your time.

      --
      Venerable Dr. Khammai Dhammasami, DPhil (Oxford)
      Executive Secretary, International Association of Buddhist Universities (www.iabu.org);

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic