1304Re: [SanghaOnline] Anger / loving kindness

    Apr 5, 2012
      Dear Robert,

      Please refer to my book "Mindfulness Meditation Made Easy" which has a chapter
      on metta. You can google it. I paste it below also.

      With metta
      Ven. Dhammasami

      2. THE PRACTICE OF METTA MEDITATION
      (This talk was given in Burmese and translated into English by Dr. Kyaw Thinn)
      SUPPORTIVE MEDITATION
             There are four kinds of meditation we need to practise in order to support Vipassana
      meditation. They are metta meditation, meditation on the qualities of the Buddha,
      meditation on the impersonality of the body  and meditation on death. These four, if
      practised earnestly and correctly, help in the development of  Vipassana practice.
      Conversely, Vipassana meditation assists us  achieve deep understanding of these four
      meditation practices. They are mutually approving and supportive, and that is why these
      four are known as Supportive Meditation.
             They are largely reflective types of meditation rather than trying to watch sensation
      and thoughts momentarily as in Vipassana. They help the mind to focus. Once fully
      developed, they also tend to influence the way we think. Three of them —  MettA
      meditation on the impersonality of body and meditation on death help us directly to
      acquire the right thought factor of the Noble Eightfold Path because their nature is that of
      goodwill, non-violence and detachment.
      METTA MEDITATION
              Before practising metta, I would like to discuss what metta is. Practising metta
      (loving-kindness) meditation is not something new to the Burmese Buddhists or to the Thai
      and Sri Lankans. Actually in many places, by  meditation  people would immediately
      understand it as metta meditation. It is a very popular practice in many traditions. Often
      people it is important to people to know how effective their practice of metta meditation is,
      and how confident they have become in their metta meditation.
              Metta meditation comes in a set, comprising four component  metta, karuna
      (compassion), mudita (sympathetic joy) and upekkha (balanced mind). When we say metta,
      the remaining three are also included. However, in practice, all the four cannot be done at
      the same time. We have to begin with metta. Whether or not we progress to the other three
      elements depends on how we are progressing with metta practice.
      (1)
       We could not start off
      with karuna and mudita or upekkha because each of the last three is a specialized
      advancement of metta. Metta is an inclusive primary practice that develops itself into the
      qualities of heart such as karuna, and is essential to furthering these qualities.

      WHAT IS METTA
              The desire to see peace and success in your life is metta. The desire to be free from
      harm is metta. This good intention is to be developed and extended to members of your
      family and friends. As it progresses, you have to  gradually  extend it to all in the world
      including your enemy. The desire to see them doing well and happy in their life is the spirit
      of metta
              You want to see yourself progress  socially, economically and spiritually. This is
      metta. When we wish ourselves good health and prosperity, we are purely developing the
      awareness of goodwill to ourselves — promoting love for ourselves and avoiding danger,
      harm and enmity.
      DO NOT START FROM THE WHOLE WORLD
              Metta is a goodwill through which you wish to see welfare and well-being of yourself.
      In this world, all living creatures love themselves and should have an awareness of this
      feeling. They should then extend this feeling to those nearby such as parents, family
      members, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters and teachers. This is the way to start spreading
      or expanding metta. There are some, who start by saying, "may all creatures in the East be
      well and happy". Some practise metta with only the whole world as their meditation object,
      overlooking the people nearest and dearest to themselves. Without being able to develop
      metta fully for themselves and their friends, how can one expect to stretch out metta to the
      whole world. It is not logical. That could become a futile effort and sometimes almost a
      prayer intended for mere public display.
      UNIVERSAL DIMENSION OF METTA
              As metta is universal by nature,  as  said  earlier, we  have  to  have  a wholesome feeling
      not only for ourselves but also for other people as well. Otherwise, metta can lose its true
      nature and be overcome by its invisible attacker, attachment and selfishness. That is not
      metta any more.
             Metta by its true character gravitates toward a gradual diminishing of the border
      between you and your family, friends and strangers, and yourself and the enemy.
      Prejudice, favour and fear are the manifestations of the opponents of metta They create a
      mental boundary between those you  like  and those you  do not  like. Metta works to
      diminish and eliminate such bias and discrimination. Metta gives a universal dimension to
      the way we think and act. With metta, come virtues such as friendliness and honesty. One
      who has sufficiently developed metta is exceptionally thoughtful, caring and gentle. He is
      patient and willing to listen to someone else's point of view.
      (2)
       Metta seeks to transform the
      inner character of a person while offering peace and a confident outlook on life.
              There are people, who do not have the feeling of goodwill even for themselves. They
      do not strive to improve themselves; they may even harm themselves or place themselves

      2
       Suvaco  14
      in danger. Therefore, those people who seek to improve their life righteously and avoid
      harming themselves are at least practising the awareness of metta for themselves. They
      need only proper guidance to extend it to others.
      VISIBLE AND INVISIBLE ENEMIES OF METTA
              Metta practice can easily be derailed especially in the absence of mindfulness. The
      goodwill nature of metta could change into that of attachment and lust, both of which have
      magnetic potential. They are an invisible hindrance to metta. It is extremely difficult to
      combat them.
              Ill will and anger are the opposite of goodwill and loving-kindness. They have
      destructive forces within and without. They are the well-known and visible enemies of
      metta. All the hindrances to metta, both visible and invisible, are direct emotional
      control.
              Actually, metta meditation cannot proceed in the absence of mindfulness. The Buddha
      has made it clear that one must establish mindfulness to sustain metta
      (3)
      . We have to have a
      sustained awareness (sati), indeed, all the seven factors of enlightenment (bojjhanga) to
      develop metta.
      (4)
             The Buddha has also advised anyone to help his relative or friend, if really concerned
      for them, to practise mindfulness meditation  (Satipatthana).  Metta and mindfulness
      practices are often taught together.
      (5)
      NOT JUST RECITATION OF WORDS
              Metta meditation is not merely recitation of the Metta Sutta, the discourse on lovingkindness. It is about bringing  and developing an awareness of the fact that we love
      ourselves; we do not wish any harm to befall ourselves. Moreover, it is about extending
      such good thoughts to others. It is also about evolving qualities of heart we mentioned
      earlier. To do that, right effort must be in  place. Nevertheless, without mindfulness, we
      may not know where and when to make an effort. It is down to mindfulness again.
              Metta meditation is not just chanting a formula either. There are many formulas
      translated directly from the Pali texts or based on one like "may I be happy", which is a
      well known formula.
      (6)
       It is not enough just to memorize the formula or stanza and recite it
      like a mantra. It does not work that way. It requires mindfulness and reflection on the
      issues such as happiness and suffering, and the person who is the meditation object.

      3
       Metta Sutta, Sutta-nipata. pp. 143- 152
      4
       Metta -sahagata Sutta, Bojjhanga Samyutta. Samyutta-nikaya
      5
       Metta Sutta, Satipatthana Samyutta, Samyutta -nikaya
      6
       For the monastic community a formula in Pali like "Aham avero homi, avyapajjo homi, anigho homi, sukha
      attanam pariharami" etc is most used. One has to know the meaning and use reflective energy while
      chanting it. 15
      IMMEDIATE RESULT OF METTA
              Developing metta is, in fact, instrumental in overcoming frustration within oneself.
      This gradual reduction of frustration is the first benefit that one reaps from metta
      meditation.
              As one becomes cheerful and hopeful, he is well liked and loved by many. Aversion,
      irritation, agitation and anger  will be greatly reduced as  the practice goes forward. An
      arrogant attitude that tends to belittle others will also vanish. Contempt and an  "I don't
      care"  type of attitude can sour all the good will. Our daily life is often disturbing,
      disappointing and complicated. If your metta  practice is sufficiently advanced, you will
      seek a contented, simple and unconfused life.
             We need to be introspective to find out whether or not we have any of these qualities
      within us. To be able to do this, we need to practise Vipassana meditation. If through this
      meditation practice, we discover that we lack a certain quality, we should then apply right
      effort. We should reflect on the individual words of the Metta Sutta, the Discourse on
      Loving-kindness, and assess ourselves on whether we possess those qualities. This is
      another way of practising metta
      KARUNA AND MUDITA
              We have to start embracing compassion (Karuna)  and joy (mudita) right from the
      beginning. In metta meditation practice, there should be a meditation object. The first
      object is none other than yourself. The second object is people who are close to you.
             No matter who is chosen to be an object of metta meditation,  all the objects can be
      mainly put into  two categories,  one that is suffering and the other that is happy or
      successful. For example, my mother is chosen as the object of my metta. If she is suffering
      from a headache, I wish for her to be free from suffering, which is a headache. To have this
      goodwill requires metta (loving-kindness) as its foundation. As I appreciate her suffering,
      compassion is born. This is because she is a suffering object.
             When she is happy, I wish her happiness sustained with metta. As I treasure her
      happiness, joy comes into existence. The same object, my mother, is giving rise to both
      compassion  and  joy.  This is due to the fact that I set out with metta practice having a
      dimension that is wide enough to embrace and give rise to both compassion and joy. The
      issue of the headache is relevant to develop attentiveness. It is an issue, which is in my
      mind at the present.
              When she is anxious, I would say  "may you be free from anxiety and may you be
      happy." My good wish for her to be free from anxiety is a compassionate feeling, which
      originates from metta while the latter, a wish for her happiness is necessarily a joyous one
      also firmly established on metta. Metta sets out, therefore, to develop karuna and mudita.  16
              In metta meditation, both feelings of being compassionate and joyous come into play.
      When we look at the famine in Sudan and  see the people and children starving from
      hunger, we are observing a suffering object. You immediately develop karuna if metta is
      already inherent in you. A person practising metta meditation on a suffering object
      develops compassion. In another words, metta is transformed into compassion. When you
      hear that a certain group of people is being oppressed, you develop compassion if metta
      has already been developed. Of course, without mindfulness, this metta could lead to anger
      over the oppressor, and you may react accordingly. Here you can see the importance of
      mindfulness.
              When we hear of someone's success in the recent GCSE examination, we feel happy.
      In this instance, the feeling developed is mudita, a joyous feeling. You are happy to see
      someone doing well. In this world, it is quite easy to feel compassionate because suffering
      objects are by nature very moving. It is very powerful. Just observe how the whole country
      felt when the news of Princess Diana's tragic death was announced. Many broke down in
      tears.
              When she was alive, not all of  those people were happy with her; some used to
      criticise her or even find fault with her,  or magnify her mistakes. Some even made a
      fortune out of her weakness. There was not much mudita at that time. What  I mean  to  say
      is that it is more difficult to rejoice in somebody else's achievement.
      HARD TO FEEL JOYOUS FOR OTHERS
             Communism developed as a result of the oppression of the working class. According
      to Buddhist philosophy, this oppression and poverty led to feelings of  karuna, which in
      turn led to the formation of a system to dispel that  oppression and exploitation.
      Communism was clearly built on compassion. However, the people who followed
      Communism did not feel happy when they  saw rich people. They, especially the
      Communist leaders, had no joyous feeling. If they had feelings of mudita, they might not
      have nationalised or confiscated businesses, thus might  have prevented the present
      economic and political collapse. Those leaders might even have survived until now.
              Therefore, when developing metta,  we should assess ourselves to see whether it
      contains the necessary fundamentals that also give rise to both compassion and joy.
      THE ROLE OF SATI
              The role of mindfulness in metta practice has already been discussed earlier.
      Nevertheless, I should mention it again here. You are moved when you see a suffering
      object. You are happy to see some one doing well. You become joyous because of mudita.
      Emotionally, these two, compassion  (karuna)  and joy  (mudita)  are opposites.
      Consequently, when we encounter both emotions at different times, we can be put off
      balance emotionally. We may become more disposed towards karuna and become very
      sad. Alternatively, we may become inclined towards mudita and be pushed towards
      attachment  (lobha)  and pride  (mana).  You really need something to balance these two 17
      diametrically opposite emotions, and it is  Sati  (mindfulness), which brings in some
      balance. This is why we need to practise metta along with Vipassana meditation.
              Having reached this stage, mindfulness helps develop concentration (samadhi). Such
      a development is vital because without the presence of strong concentration, the mind can
      be off balance. In plain language, upekkha,  the last component of metta, can not be
      cultivated unless concentration is developed. However, concentration alone, without metta,
      karuna and mudita, there  does not bring about upekkha.
      (7)
      One-pointedness, an aspect of
      concentration, helps the mind to balance itself.
              When mindfulness is present, our mind is kept in balance. When we meet a person
      who is suffering, we can help him without being overwhelmed by sorrow. We are able to
      keep ourselves under control. When we meet a happy person also, we can feel happy as
      well without forming attachments or craving. People often feel jealous in such
      circumstances. If we can feel suffering without anger and the joy without jealousy, then
      this is what is known as upekkha (equanimity). It is quite different from the Burmese word
      upekkha, which means to ignore. An ignoring attitude cannot become an offshoot of metta.
      The Pali  "Upekkh&'  is, as discussed earlier, related to  samddhi  (concentration) and is
      developed with it. A person lacking in samcidhi but who claims to be practising upekkha is
      probably just trying to ignore things.
             Why do we need this balance? It is because of the opposition of the two emotions of
      karuna and mudita. In the learning stage, mindfulness balances karuna and mudita, and
      thereby helps develop upekkha, while in the reflective stage, the awareness of cause and
      effect contributes to upekkha practice. I have now briefly  explained what metta, karuna,
      mudita and uppekha are.
      SPECIFIED AND UNSPECIFIED OBJECTS
              When choosing an object for metta meditation, there are two types of object, a
      specified one and an unspecified. A specified object could be a chosen person, whom one
      specifies by name or appearance. Try to visualise the person in mind when directing metta
      to that person and wishing him good health and happiness.
              Without particularising any person, if we just say "may all beings in the East or in the
      whole world be well and happy,"  then this is an unspecified metta object. This way of
      propagating metta to an unspecified object  is only possible and effective if done by a
      person who has developed and attained a very powerful degree of metta with a specified
      object. Otherwise, it will be ineffective.

      7
       Concentration that is associated with Upekkha is called Ekaggata in Pali. 18
      INSTRUCTIONS ON METTA MEDITATION (BASIC TECHNIQUE)
      IDENTIFYING NEGATIVE AND POSITIVE CONDITIONS
              I want you to think of two negative conditions that you do not wish to have and two
      positive conditions or things that you wish to have. In another words, think of desirable
      and undesirable things in your life. We will start our practice based on these settings. To
      give you an example, I have a gastric ulcer, which wakes me up in the middle of the night
      because of the pain. I suffer from lack of sleep. Sometimes when I go for dcTha, the food
      offered is very spicy; I end up eating just rice and yoghurt. I have encountered these
      difficulties. So, I have become mindful of these difficulties and with a feeling of metta for
      myself, my first wish is that I may get rid of the gastric ulcer. Secondly, my wish is to be
      free from bad company, to be far away from them and not to have to meet them. I will
      simply meditate  "may I be free from bad company."  These are the two most obvious
      wishes for me as far as negative situations are concerned.
              The two positives are to be able to meditate and study success fully. These are my two
      most important things, even burning issues, for me at the present. I will incorporate them
      into metta practice.
      STEP ONE
              I first choose myself as the meditation object. I say to myself in my mind "May I be
      free from gastric ulcers. May I be free from bad company. May I be able to meditate more
      and successfully, and may I be advancing as I wish with my research study."  This is
      repeated two to five times.
      STEP TWO
              Next I direct my mind to another person, for example, to my mother, visualising her
      and wishing thus;  "May she be free from gastric ulcers. May she be free from bad
      company. May she be able to meditate successfully. May she be advancing in her Dhamma
      study."
              Actually, it should be a relevant issue for her. I may say, may she be well and happy,
      may she be free from anxiety and worry. Good health and happiness are something positive
      I want her to enjoy. Anxiety and worry are things undesirable I do not want her to have
      them. We need to choose two negative and two positive issues, and cultivate metta first for
      ourselves and then for a specific person.
             By this practice, we develop  sati  (mindfulness) of our feelings of well being, our
      desire to be free from harm and suffering, and this then leads to the development of metta
      for ourselves. From then on, we can extend the same metta, first to our parents if they are
      still alive, second to our existing families and then close friends. We direct our metta to
      them individually, one by one. 19
      STEP THREE
             We next have to choose a neutral person. He or she may be someone from work or
      someone you come across in society. This person has to be known to you but one towards
      whom you have not formed any like or dislike. He or she is entirely neutral. We then direct
      our metta to that person in the same way as we did before.
      THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT YET MEDITATION OBJECTS
              We should forget the people we have been in conflict with or had arguments with for
      the time being. Only when we have made some progress in our metta meditation, should
      we include them. Some say that they have just gritted their teeth and cultivated metta to
      people they have had a fight with. I cannot imagine what type of metta is being directed to
      them. This is just not possible. The border between your acquaintances and the neutral
      person has to be eliminated first, before you can effectively cultivate metta towards your
      enemy. We do not start with the opposite sex either as this can arouse lust. Nor do we
      begin with those who have died, for this can stir up sorrow.

      On 1 April 2012 23:25, cammack51 <cammack@...> wrote:

      Dear venerable monks

      When feeling anger or hate towards some enemy one should generate thoughts of loving kindness. Must these be towards the one you hate? This is very difficult. Is it sufficient to think loving thoughts towards a neutral person or a loved one? I try to feel compassion towards my enemies, thinking of the negative Karma they are accumulating but is this enough?

      Blessings to you all

      Robert

      --
      Venerable Dr. Khammai Dhammasami, DPhil (Oxford)
      Executive Secretary, International Association of Buddhist Universities (www.iabu.org);

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic