Fixed my Dx-440, well, sort of....

  • theosus
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2004
      I previously posted that I had blown my radio with the wrong wall
      wart. I replaced Q307 (with an NTE159), and the audio is fine now. In
      fact, the radio works pretty good for having been stored in the attic
      for the better part of eight years. The problem I have run into is
      this: I remember (pre blowing-up times) when the radio was switched
      off, there would be a barely detectable whine/hiss for a fraction of
      a second as the radio went dead. Now when I push the power button to
      turn off the radio, the whine/hiss is still there, and stays there,
      as if the radio is not really off. So I know my power supply is
      probably messed up. Any help from the electronics geeks out there? I
      have the schematics and service manual, but not sure where to begin.
      It may be simpler for me just to wire a toggle switch in line with
      the batteries, to really cut the power. Otherwise the radio will eat
      a set of batteries in no time.

      i am theosus, and I approved this message.
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2004
        theosus,

        See message #86.

        steve
        ==============================

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2004
          --- In Sangean803@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@y...> wrote:

          > theosus,
          >
          > See message #86.
          >
          > steve

          well, boy I feel stupid. Going to buy a wal-wart plug socket thing
          right now from RS. Its a shame they went from being a rather decent
          hobby store to being a cell phone/satellite/computer store. They sort
          of suck now, and I looked on their web site, and only saw a couple
          shortwave receivers, and nothing with SSB.

          Radio Shack - You've got questions, We've got blank stares.

          -m.