Problem --FM no stations at high end

  • John
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2004
      Hi all. I've just rec'd my ATS 803A and it works OK on all bands
      except for weird problem on FM. All stations tune in OK and sound
      OK (including stereo reception) from 88 up to a station at 99.5. But
      above that frequency there is nothing. Not a hint of any sound of any
      station. Would there be anyone with possible cause and cure ???
      I've had a look inside and inspected PCB's and wiring etc. Also
      for dry joints. Only found one on DC socket. Also checked for any
      possible mods but none obvious found. It's got me baffled.
      Maybe it needs an FM alignment but I'm not familiar with this
      radio to do so.
      I've briefly tested the 803A side by side with my ATS 909 and GE
      SRII. This was conducted late afternoon and again in evening. The AM
      MW sensitivity and selectivity much better than ATS 909. SW also more
      sensitive with whip than the 909. Where I live I'm plagued with
      intermittant electrical interference from overhead power lines and
      have found the 803A less prone to this noise than the 909 Especially
      on MW. Even when the interference was not present the 803A is a much
      quieter radio. Internal generated noise from electronics inside 909
      is much higher. Wide /narrow filters on 803A very good compared to
      909. Sound on SW MW 803A clear and not muffled as is the 909. FM
      performance about the same as 909(except for missing top end stations
      on 803A) Sensitivity on MW is about the same as the GE SRII from
      about 1200kH to top end but better below that frquency. Selectivity
      appears to be better than GE SRII. Audio quality overall is very
      good on all bands.
      The current drain on batteries at normal listening level was
      tested at about 75ma. (About the same as the 909 ) The GE SRII drains
      about 30ma This should give the 803A about 120-150 hours battery
      life using alkaline. After only a few hours of use I'm very impressed
      with the 803A's performance.
      Thanks all for allowing me to join the group.
    • John
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2004
          Could be the local oscillator or FM mixer is failing (amongst other
          possibilities), and this could be because it needs realignment or you have a
          device that is not up to the job. The fact hat you cannot hear any noise
          above 99.5 MHz tends to confirm this. Is the set giving accurate frequency
          read out for stations? That is, if the station is on 97 MHz (for example)
          does the set display 97 MHz or is it some way off? Someone may have got
          inside the set and "tweaked" it...

          I assume this fault was mentioned by the eBay seller? If not, you should
          contact them to point out that the set is faulty and to find out what they
          will do about it!

          Regards,

          Al Bolton, G4VSQ
          http://www.reading-city.net/Vintage_Radios

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11, 2004
            -Hi Al,
            I can't remember if I've thanked you before for your advice -if
            not "Thanks" I've checked the radio again and found the FM
            section had been "looked at" by a previous owner -- and numerous
            coils adjusted way off. One coil adjusted as far as it could one
            way. A bit of fiddling with coils has now brought all stations in
            over complete band. I'll be getting the workshop service manual in
            next couple of days --so I'll make proper final adjustments then.
            I'm very happy at how this 803A performs compared to other
            multiband radios I've used. Particularly the AM MW band. I've updated
            the internal speaker to a Pioneer 4" high quality car speaker--sound
            is now extremely pleasing to the ear. I also replaced the audio
            output capacitors from the factory 470mf to 2000mF. Some say that
            doing this increases power drain considerably but I measured current
            drain before and after mod and found it only increased the current
            by 4mA at normal listening level. My next mod is to replace the dial
            globe to a high brightness LED and driving it with a LM317L
            adjustable regulator . And to further reduce current drain while
            using batteries I'll be adding a switch to turn all leds on and off.
            Hope every one has good Easter
            Regards John from Oz

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 12, 2004
              Very pleased to hear that you have sorted it out John, always pleased to
              help our mates down under. Sadly, too many people who really don't know what
              they are doing go out og their way to wreck nice radios; I have seen this in
              domestic equipment as well as professional and amateur radio gear as well as
              in CB radios!

              If you could do scan the service manual and either sell it or post it to the
              Group's files area then you would be a very popular person, as I would very
              much like a copy!

              Enjoy the radio,

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 12, 2004
                Hi Al, Hopefully I'll pick up manual Tuesday 13th. If it's anything
                like the ones I got for ATS 909 or 606 there will be 40-50 pages.
                This I've worked out to be about 5 to 6 meg of fairly low res. pic
                files in Jpeg. A long time for people to download and take up 25% of
                the groups "Files" allowance. Maybe I should scan and upload the
                most relevant pages.
                I'd be willing to send full copies to anyone that wants it. I'd
                have to work out a fair nominal price to members. Alternatively I
                could scan the manual in high resolution to CD burner and forward CD
                to members who want it at nominal cost. Would save great amount on
                airmail cost. But I'm not too sure about copyright in copying more
                than one copy??? BTW did you have look at the File I put onto
                Groups "Files" of a short review of 803A in the Passport to World
                Band Radio 1994. I noticed that you have a site which I attempted
                to go to but not able to do so. Do you live in UK at City of
                Reading?? I'm originally from UK --migrant to Australia in 1966. I
                used to live at town of Caterham Surrey.
                I don't think I've mentioned before but I'm electronics tech.
                repairing mainly Audio equipment.

              • George Crewe
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 12, 2004
                  ---------------------------------

                  <al.bolton@n...> wrote:
                  > Very pleased to hear that you have sorted it out
                  John, always
                  pleased to
                  > help our mates down under. Sadly, too many people
                  who really don't
                  know what
                  > they are doing go out og their way to wreck nice
                  radios; I have
                  seen this in
                  > domestic equipment as well as professional and
                  amateur radio gear
                  as well as
                  > in CB radios!
                  >
                  > If you could do scan the service manual and either
                  sell it or post
                  it to the
                  > Group's files area then you would be a very popular
                  person, as I
                  would very
                  > much like a copy!
                  >
                  > Enjoy the radio,
                  >
                  > Al Bolton, G4VSQ
                  > http://www.reading-city.net/Vintage_Radios

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                  Terms of Service.

                  Hi There!

                  Why don't you save the scanned file as an Adobe PDF
                  file. This seems to keep the pictures reasonably
                  decent and sure does make a lot smaller file.

                  Lots of luck with your 803a. I used to sell them
                  years ago and I have enjoyed mine a whole lot over the
                  years.

                  73 for now.

                  George M. Crewe